Anne Hathaway's Mom: Actress Thanks Kate Hathaway

01/13/2013 09:55 pm ET

Anne Hathaway won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for playing Fantine in "Les Miserables" — and in her acceptance speech she thanked her mom, Kate, for giving her an early example.

"I want to thank my mother, who I saw perform this role when I was eight," she said.

Kate McCauley Hathaway is an actress who played Fantine in the first U.S. traveling tour of "Les Miserables" and helped her daughter prepare for her big-screen role.

"We just talked about the character," Anne told the Hollywood Reporter. "She told me a lot about her experience playing Fantine, which gave me even more confidence that it was in my blood, in my DNA, it was a family legacy. I think it allowed me to connect on a deeper level to the character, knowing how much it meant to her."

The preparation paid off. Kate told the Los Angeles Times, "I know I'm her mother, but I think she's the perfect Fantine. I don't feel like I dove into Fantine as far as she did. Annie actually opened my eyes to the character because of all the research she did."

Here's a photo of the Hathaway family in 2009. From left to right: Anne's brothers Thomas and Michael, Anne, Kate and Anne's dad Gerald.

anne hathaway mom

A gallery of the awards -- and HuffPost's liveblog of the proceedings -- can be found below.

Golden Globes Winners And More

01/13/2013 11:49 PM EST

Good Night From The HuffPost Golden Globes War Room

We'll see you at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 10!

@ m1keh0gan :

Trying to persuade @Kia_Mak and @chrisjrosen that IT AIN'T YOU, ABE is a great headline that we need to use right now.

01/13/2013 11:48 PM EST

Golden Globes Winners

It was a big night for "Girls," "Homeland," "Argo," Ben Affleck, "Les Miserables," Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Jodie Foster.

For a full list of winners from the 2013 Golden Globes, click here.

01/13/2013 11:37 PM EST

Did Jodie Foster Come Out?

More on Jodie Foster's big night at the Golden Globes:

After being introduced by Robert Downey Jr., Foster coyly said, "While I’m here being all confessional, I just have the sudden urge to say something I’ve never been able to air in public. A declaration that I’m a little nervous about. Not quite as nervous as my publicist, huh, Jennifer? But uh, you know, I’m just going to put it out there. Loud and proud. I’m going to need your support. I am -- single!"

More here, from HuffPost Gay Voices.

01/13/2013 11:31 PM EST

We Agree On This

@ m1keh0gan :

J-Law rocks. I think she wins Best Actress next month on the strength of being awesome tonight.

01/13/2013 11:25 PM EST

In An Alternate Reality ...

@ mattsinger :

SALMON FLAVORED JELL-O SHOTS! #salmonfishingintheyemengoldenglobesafterparty

01/13/2013 11:24 PM EST

Gaining Momentum

@ Breznican :

Most interesting theory heard at Globes: Argo gets Best Picture Oscar as rest of Academy overcompensates for directors' Affleck snub.

01/13/2013 11:24 PM EST

Staying Classy

@ AmyKinLA :

Affleck just WON'T say he's upset about the Oscar snub. Says he's a member of the Academy & so are the filmmakers he admires. #GoldenGlobes

01/13/2013 11:22 PM EST

She Beat Meryl

Remember when Jennifer Lawrence said "I beat Meryl" and everyone thought she was slamming Meryl Streep and not referencing "First Wives Club."

01/13/2013 11:20 PM EST

Some stars didn't make the best-dressed list. From HuffPost Style:

The 2013 Golden Globes took place on Sunday night in Los Angeles, and true to form, brought out the very best in fashion and style. As it happens, they also brought out the worst in red carpet dresses, from misplaced cutouts to heavy fabric to frocks that don't belong at a prestigious awards ceremony.

01/13/2013 11:19 PM EST

From the red carpet, some of the Golden Globes best-dressed celebrities. Via HuffPost Style.

The 2013 Golden Globes had us jumping for joy. Not because some of our favorite TV shows and movies won (yay, "Homeland"), but because actresses took style chances on the red carpet this year, making for an interesting awards show (and an amazing best-dressed list).