TV

'Girls' Wins Golden Globe For Best Comedy Or Musical TV Series In 2013

01/13/2013 10:25 pm ET | Updated Jan 13, 2013

"Girls" won the Golden Globe for Best Comedy or Musical at the 2013 award ceremony on Sunday, January 13.

The other nominees included "The Big Bang Theory," "Episodes," "Modern Family," and "Smash."

The controversial series was nominated for its first season on HBO, but the second season of "Girls" premiered on the same night of the Golden Globes were handed out.

"Girls" creator, executive producer, writer, director and star Lena Dunham also won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. Dunham spoke on behalf of the "Girls" cast and said her co-stars "have shown me the meaning of bravery and nakedness, both emotional and physical.

"I love being in a room with people who love movies and television so much," she continued. "It took a village to raise this very demented child and I hope that everyone who was involved feels thanked every single day ... Making this show and the response to it has been the most validating thing that I've ever felt; it's made me feel so much less alone in this world. I can't define it, thank you."

Dunham also thanked Chad Lowe, whose wife, Hilary Swank, famously forget to thank him.

Lowe tweeted earlier in the night after Dunham won:

The Golden Globes 2013 crowned its winners on January 13 on NBC from the Beverly Hilton in Beverly Hills, CA. The queens of TV comedy, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, hosted the ceremony, but neither of their shows -- "30 Rock" and "Parks and Recreation" respectively -- was nominated for Best Comedy at the 2013 Golden Globes.

Golden Globes Winners And More

01/13/2013 11:49 PM EST

Good Night From The HuffPost Golden Globes War Room

We'll see you at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 10!

@ m1keh0gan :

Trying to persuade @Kia_Mak and @chrisjrosen that IT AIN'T YOU, ABE is a great headline that we need to use right now.

01/13/2013 11:48 PM EST

Golden Globes Winners

It was a big night for "Girls," "Homeland," "Argo," Ben Affleck, "Les Miserables," Tina Fey, Amy Poehler and Jodie Foster.

For a full list of winners from the 2013 Golden Globes, click here.

01/13/2013 11:37 PM EST

Did Jodie Foster Come Out?

More on Jodie Foster's big night at the Golden Globes:

After being introduced by Robert Downey Jr., Foster coyly said, "While I’m here being all confessional, I just have the sudden urge to say something I’ve never been able to air in public. A declaration that I’m a little nervous about. Not quite as nervous as my publicist, huh, Jennifer? But uh, you know, I’m just going to put it out there. Loud and proud. I’m going to need your support. I am -- single!"

More here, from HuffPost Gay Voices.

01/13/2013 11:31 PM EST

We Agree On This

@ m1keh0gan :

J-Law rocks. I think she wins Best Actress next month on the strength of being awesome tonight.

01/13/2013 11:25 PM EST

In An Alternate Reality ...

@ mattsinger :

SALMON FLAVORED JELL-O SHOTS! #salmonfishingintheyemengoldenglobesafterparty

01/13/2013 11:24 PM EST

Gaining Momentum

@ Breznican :

Most interesting theory heard at Globes: Argo gets Best Picture Oscar as rest of Academy overcompensates for directors' Affleck snub.

01/13/2013 11:24 PM EST

Staying Classy

@ AmyKinLA :

Affleck just WON'T say he's upset about the Oscar snub. Says he's a member of the Academy & so are the filmmakers he admires. #GoldenGlobes

01/13/2013 11:22 PM EST

She Beat Meryl

Remember when Jennifer Lawrence said "I beat Meryl" and everyone thought she was slamming Meryl Streep and not referencing "First Wives Club."

01/13/2013 11:20 PM EST

Flashback!

Some stars didn't make the best-dressed list. From HuffPost Style:

The 2013 Golden Globes took place on Sunday night in Los Angeles, and true to form, brought out the very best in fashion and style. As it happens, they also brought out the worst in red carpet dresses, from misplaced cutouts to heavy fabric to frocks that don't belong at a prestigious awards ceremony.

01/13/2013 11:19 PM EST

Flashback!

From the red carpet, some of the Golden Globes best-dressed celebrities. Via HuffPost Style.

The 2013 Golden Globes had us jumping for joy. Not because some of our favorite TV shows and movies won (yay, "Homeland"), but because actresses took style chances on the red carpet this year, making for an interesting awards show (and an amazing best-dressed list).