By the grace of whatever watches over wrestling matches in South Dakota, Madison High School wrestler Michael McComish emerged nearly unscathed after an 80-pound spotlight fell on him during a match Friday against Chamberlain High, ABC affiliate KSFY reports.
All he received were stitches on his head, the station said, not to mention a surging amount of viewers watching the incredible footage on YouTube.
His parents couldn't believe what happened -- and neither could McComish.
"At first, I said to myself 'what just hit me?,'" he told KSFY. "It was really bright. I noticed all the glass. I was like, OK, this isn't good."
As footage of the freak accident quickly made the rounds, McComish tweeted his recovery after the match, Bleacher Report notes.
Writing as @Comish69, he wrote, "Just letting everyone know I'm fine! Stitches in my head. Gash on forehead and back of me head and little cuts from the glass nothin serious."
The so-called "Madison Square Garden" wrestling event is an annual happening in which a giant spotlight focuses on the combatants while loud music blares, Deadspin notes.
But who knew that said light would provide the only takedown of the match?
"The unfortunate accident that occurred on Friday, January 18 was indeed a scary moment for everyone involved," the school district wrote in a statement Monday, according to KSFY. "We are thankful to report that the student/athlete injured is recovering and is in school today."(h/t The Big Lead)