Huffpost Technology

Call Of Duty: North Korea? Activision Copyright Claim Removes Propaganda Video From YouTube

Posted: Updated:
spinner

A North Korean propaganda video, which showed a city that resembled New York being fire-bombed, has been removed from the North Korean state-controlled YouTube page, where it had been uploaded.

The video used images that were lifted from the video game "Call of Duty," which prompted the game's maker, Activision, to ask North Korea to remove the video from YouTube, the BBC reports.

The three-and-a-half minute video was uploaded to Pyongyang's official news and propaganda site, Uriminzokkiri, on Saturday, the Telegraph notes.

The video shows a man dreaming that he's in a spaceship, while subtitles tell how he sees "black smoke" coming from America. "It seems like the devil's nest that habitually caused wars of invasion and persistence are finally burning under the flames it itself has ignited," the video reads, according to NK News.

The video then shows a city that closely resembles New York being hit with missiles. It shows skyscrapers on fire and the faint image of an American flag in the background. Meanwhile, the song "We Are The World" plays in the background.

At the end of the video, subtitles read "I am certain that my dream will come true. Even the complete ending of the imperialists schemes," according to the NK News translation.

On Thursday, CNN confirmed that the video was pulled after Activision said scenes were taken from "Call of Duty." The game is one of Activision's top-sellers.

When Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was released in late 2011, sales topped $400 million in the first 24 hours in the U.K. and the U.S. alone, the company said, according to the Telegraph.

Activision did not immediately return a request for comment.

Related on HuffPost:

Close
North Korea Nuclear Test Site
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

North Korea accused of ripping off 'Call of Duty' in propaganda video

North Korea video removed over copyright spat with 'Call of Duty' makers

North Korea uses Call of Duty clip in new propaganda video

YouTube Removes North Korean Nuclear Strike Video Over Call Of Duty Copyright

North Korean Propaganda Video Imagines a Brighter World, Without Manhattan

North Korea turns 'Call of Duty' and 'We Are the World' into bizarre ...

North Korea releases propaganda video using 'Call of Duty' footage, Michael ...

North Korea Turns 'We Are the World' Into an Anthem of Death and Destruction

North Korea's creepy new propaganda video

 
From Our Partners