ENTERTAINMENT

Best Supporting Actress: Anne Hathaway Wins Oscar At 2013 Academy Awards

02/24/2013 10:27 pm ET

Best Supporting Actress and Anne Hathaway; five words that will be forever linked in Oscar history.

Hathaway won Best Supporting Actress at the 85th annual Academy Awards on Sunday night.

"It came true," Hathaway said while accepting the award before giving a shout to the other nominees. The 30-year-old star was an overwhelming favorite to win Best Supporting Actress for her performance in "Les Miserables." In the musical, Hathaway plays Fantine, the doomed single mother turned prostitute who sings one of the film's showcase songs, "I Dreamed a Dream."

Hathaway has limited screen time in "Les Miserables," but it didn't matter: She joins past Best Supporting Actress winners like Beatrice Straight ("Network") and Judi Dench ("Shakespeare in Love") as actresses with small but impactful roles that won over Oscar voters.

Hathaway had previously won Best Supporting Actress honors from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (Golden Globes), Screen Actors Guild and BAFTA. Her ascendence throughout awards season drew a surprising amount of criticism, with many complaining about Hathaway's enthusiasm and acceptance speeches. ("Why Does Everyone Hate Anne Hathaway?" wondered Hollywood.com writer Brian Moylan.)

For her part, Hathaway remained grounded. "I've had plenty of years in my career where I haven't made it to this part of the conversation. Making it here is the gift and the goal, and I feel really proud of that," she told HuffPost Entertainment.

Hathaway's Best Supporting Actress Oscar left Amy Adams ("The Master"), Sally Field ("Lincoln"), Helen Hunt ("The Sessions") and Jacki Weaver ("Silver Linings Playbook") without trophies.

For more on the Oscars' 2013 ceremony, including a full list of Academy Awards winners, check out the live blog below.

Oscar Nominees 2013

02/25/2013 1:18 AM EST

Good Night, And Good Luck

That's all from the Oscars 2013 live blog here at HuffPost Entertainment! Hope you enjoyed the show. This is Christopher Rosen, signing off.

oscars 2013

02/25/2013 1:07 AM EST

Ben Affleck Is Not Into Oscar Punditry

From backstage at the Oscars:

When did you feel a tipping point in your favor for this film?

Clooney: Michelle Obama.

Ben: When they gave us the trophies I was confident that we would win. I don’t get too much into the Oscar-ology and the pontificating. It doesn’t help me to read up on that stuff.

02/25/2013 1:06 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Facial Hair

Backstage at the Oscars with Daniel Day-Lewis:

Was it uncomfortable wearing the beard?

What do you mean? No it's just a beard. Do you wear your hair? It was my very own beard.

02/25/2013 12:54 AM EST

What Jennifer Lawrence Thought When She Fell

From HuffPost Los Angeles correspondent Sasha Bronner:

"A bad word. That starts with F."

02/25/2013 12:50 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Best Picture Winner Face

ben affleck

02/25/2013 12:49 AM EST

Patricia Clarkson At The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

patricia clarkson oscars

More on Patricia Clarkson's look here.

02/25/2013 12:44 AM EST

How Movies Change During Oscar Season

Here's Awards Daily blogger Sasha Stone just after "Argo" won Best Picture.

@ AwardsDaily :

See, I told you Argo was Crash incarnate. Won the same amount of awards even.

Here's Sasha Stone on "Argo" back in October:

Have you ever seen a movie where you walk out saying, “That was just a great f--king movie”? That’s Ben Affleck’s Argo. Inexplicably, a film that draws its strength from humor and suspense, winds up being more moving the second time through. Perhaps because once you have been through the suspense part of it you get to know the characters better and therefore care about their outcomes more.

02/25/2013 12:42 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Arc

@ LouLumenick :

Affleck: Oscar winner to laughingstock to Oscar winner. You can't make these things up.

02/25/2013 12:31 AM EST

At Least Someone Liked It

@ m1keh0gan :

Tommy Lee Jones told me Seth MacFarlane was "hilarious." His favorite part? "I Saw Your Boobs." #notkidding

02/25/2013 12:28 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Meryl Streep Joke

“It’s a strange thing, because three years ago, before we decided to do a straight swap, I had actually been committed to play Margaret Thatcher, um...” he joked. “And Meryl was, was Steven’s first choice for ‘Lincoln.’ And I’d like to see that version. And Steven didn’t have to persuade me to play Lincoln, but I had to persuade him that, perhaps, if I was going to do it, that Lincoln shouldn’t be a musical.”

More on Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar speech here.

Comments