ENTERTAINMENT
02/25/2013 01:11 am ET

Ben Affeck Oscars Speech: 'Argo' Director Accepts Academy Award For Best Picture

Ben Affleck's Oscars speech put a classy cap on the 85th annual Academy Awards.

As a co-producer on "Argo," Affleck accepted the Oscar for Best Picture when his film was announced as winner on Sunday night. "Argo" had been the favorite to win Best Picture going into the ceremony, despite the fact that Affleck himself wasn't nominated in the Best Director category. "Argo" is the first film to win without a Best Director nomination since "Driving Miss Daisy" at the 1990 ceremony, and only the fourth film to accomplish that feat in Oscars history.

Affleck began by giving a shout out to Steven Spielberg, director of "Lincoln," and the other nominees for Best Picture. He went through a list of thank-you's, including the country of Canada, while accepting the award. Grant Heslov and George Clooney were also co-producers on "Argo." (Clooney, in fact, thought he might direct the film before handing it off to Affleck.)

Chris Terrio wrote "Argo," basing the film on a Wired article, and he took home an Oscar as well - for Best Adapted Screenplay.

Affleck has given acceptance speeches throughout awards season. His film won major prizes from the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (The Golden Globes), Directors Guild of America, Producers Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild of America, Writers Guild of America and BAFTA.

While accepting Best Director from BAFTA, Affleck noted that the "Argo" was a chance for him to earn some redemption after being a punchline because of some acting choices in the early 00s.

"This is a second act for me and you have given me that. This industry has given me that," he said.

For more on the Oscars' 2013 ceremony, including a full list of Academy Awards winners, check out the live blog below.

Oscar Nominees 2013

02/25/2013 1:18 AM EST

Good Night, And Good Luck

That's all from the Oscars 2013 live blog here at HuffPost Entertainment! Hope you enjoyed the show. This is Christopher Rosen, signing off.

oscars 2013

02/25/2013 1:07 AM EST

Ben Affleck Is Not Into Oscar Punditry

From backstage at the Oscars:

When did you feel a tipping point in your favor for this film?

Clooney: Michelle Obama.

Ben: When they gave us the trophies I was confident that we would win. I don’t get too much into the Oscar-ology and the pontificating. It doesn’t help me to read up on that stuff.

02/25/2013 1:06 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Facial Hair

Backstage at the Oscars with Daniel Day-Lewis:

Was it uncomfortable wearing the beard?

What do you mean? No it's just a beard. Do you wear your hair? It was my very own beard.

02/25/2013 12:54 AM EST

What Jennifer Lawrence Thought When She Fell

From HuffPost Los Angeles correspondent Sasha Bronner:

"A bad word. That starts with F."

02/25/2013 12:50 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Best Picture Winner Face

ben affleck

02/25/2013 12:49 AM EST

Patricia Clarkson At The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

patricia clarkson oscars

More on Patricia Clarkson's look here.

02/25/2013 12:44 AM EST

How Movies Change During Oscar Season

Here's Awards Daily blogger Sasha Stone just after "Argo" won Best Picture.

@ AwardsDaily :

See, I told you Argo was Crash incarnate. Won the same amount of awards even.

Here's Sasha Stone on "Argo" back in October:

Have you ever seen a movie where you walk out saying, “That was just a great f--king movie”? That’s Ben Affleck’s Argo. Inexplicably, a film that draws its strength from humor and suspense, winds up being more moving the second time through. Perhaps because once you have been through the suspense part of it you get to know the characters better and therefore care about their outcomes more.

02/25/2013 12:42 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Arc

@ LouLumenick :

Affleck: Oscar winner to laughingstock to Oscar winner. You can't make these things up.

02/25/2013 12:31 AM EST

At Least Someone Liked It

@ m1keh0gan :

Tommy Lee Jones told me Seth MacFarlane was "hilarious." His favorite part? "I Saw Your Boobs." #notkidding

02/25/2013 12:28 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Meryl Streep Joke

“It’s a strange thing, because three years ago, before we decided to do a straight swap, I had actually been committed to play Margaret Thatcher, um...” he joked. “And Meryl was, was Steven’s first choice for ‘Lincoln.’ And I’d like to see that version. And Steven didn’t have to persuade me to play Lincoln, but I had to persuade him that, perhaps, if I was going to do it, that Lincoln shouldn’t be a musical.”

More on Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar speech here.