A Belgian court Monday turned down a request by notorious child sex killer Marc Dutroux for early release from prison to serve out the rest of his sentence at home under electronic surveillance.
The ruling against Belgium's "most hated man," cited the risk he might offend again after being jailed for life in 2004 for the kidnap and rape between June 1995 and August 1996 of six young and teenage girls, four of whom died.
"There are no grounds on which to base (a release) under surveillance by electronic bracelet," the court said, citing the "absence of any prospect that Dutroux" could be reintegrated into society.
Dutroux, 56, earlier this month asked a special court that he be released and placed under house arrest with an electronic tag to keep track of his movements.
Monday's decision was based on psychiatric, prison and judicial reports on Dutroux, an electrician, who had claimed that he could find work as either a plumber or floor-layer.
The reports said this was not a realistic possibility, adding that where he would live was uncertain while there was also a risk that he might commit fresh crimes or harass his victims or their families.
Dutroux's request for early release horrified Belgium, reviving painful memories of its worst criminal case which put paedophilia firmly on the map to the country's evident shame and deep unease.
In August, Michelle Martin, his ex-wife and accomplice, secured release from prison to a convent, causing an outcry.
The 52-year-old mother of three of Dutroux's children, and a former schoolteacher, was granted release on parole in May after serving barely half of a 30-year sentence.