Authorities investigating the death of a 65-year-old man in Muldrow, Okla., haven't thrown water on a bizarre theory for the tragedy: Spontaneous human combustion (SHC).
On Monday, members of Danny Vanzandt's family found his dead body inside his home burned and incinerated in such a manner that suggests he may have spontaneously combusted, according to Sequoyah County Sheriff Ron Lockhart.
"I think there's only about 200 cases worldwide and I'm not saying that this has happened. I'm just saying that we haven't ruled it out," Lockhart told KSDK-TV, emphasizing there was no damage to the house and no signs of struggle.
"There was no damage to the furniture or anything around the fire, so it was a low heat fire," he told the station.
Lockhart said the victim was an alcoholic and an avid smoker, factors that may have contributed to the body blaze.
“We wasn’t saying the guy just busted into flames, you know there’s gotta have an ignition source and that’s what we’re looking at is an ignition source such as lighting a cigarette and catches himself on fire, sucks the flames down his throat, and falls down,” Lockhart told KFSM-TV.
Lockhart, who attended the autopsy Tuesday at the state Medical Examiner's Office in Tulsa, told TulsaWorld.com that there is no evidence of foul play.
"You could pour gasoline on somebody and he wouldn't be as badly incinerated," said Lockhart, a former arson investigator with the Fort Smith (Ark.) Police Department.
It could be two months or longer before authorities learn the cause of death, according to the website.
Can a Person Spontaneously Combust? Irish Coroner Says Yes
An Irish man alone in his home is found burned to death. After more than a year, the coroner's explanation raises more questions than it answers.
Fire Investigated as Spontaneous Human Combustion
Authorities are investigating an Oklahoma house fire they say may have begun by a man's spontaneous combustion. Neighbors of the Sequoyah County home say they saw smoke coming out of the house on Monday.
Irish Court Rules Death 'Spontaneous Human Combustion'
76-year-old Michael Faherty was found burned in his home last December. The coroner has ruled it the country's first case of SHC.
Man Believed to Die From Spontaneous Combustion
Authorities believe an Oklahoma man died from spontaneous human combustion.
Sheriff Refutes Spontaneous Human Combustion
Sheriff Ron Lockhart says he doesn't think a man who died after bursting into flames died from spontaneous human combustion.
Top 10 Unexplained Phenomena: Mysteries
The world is full of mysteries and some may never be explained. WatchMojo counts down the Top 10 Unexplained Phenomena.
10 Unexplained Medical Conditions
From the bizarre to the disturbing, here are 10 medical conditions that have no known cause