ENTERTAINMENT

Seth MacFarlane Oscars Monologue: Actor Opens The 2013 Academy Awards

02/24/2013 08:47 pm ET | Updated Feb 25, 2013

Seth MacFarlane hosted the 85th annual Academy Awards on Sunday evening.

"Welcome to the Oscars. The quest to make Tommy Lee Jones laugh begins now," MacFarlane said in his Oscars opening, getting a chuckle out of Jones.

MacFarlane's monologue continued, with the host mentioning last year's Best Actor winner, Jean Dujardin. "He couldn't make it in the talkies," he joked, referencing Dujardin's lack of visibility since his big win for "The Artist."

An "Argo" quip followed -- including a zinger about Ben Affleck's missing nomination for Best Director -- and an eye-roll-inducing "Django Unchained" joke about Chris Brown and Rihanna.

MacFarlane's monologue was interrupted by Captain Kirk -- A.K.A. William Shatner -- who tried to stop him from ruining the Academy Awards. "Why couldn't they just get Tina [Fey] and Amy[ Poehler] to host?" Shatner said.

The Oscar host then broke into a song about boobs, naturally, featuring the line, "We saw your boobs..." over and over, followed by a more classic Hollywood dance number featuring Channing Tatum and Charlize Theron.

Daniel Radcliffe and Joseph Gordon-Levitt hit the stage next, following a sock puppet reenactment of "Flight," to join MacFarlane for a little soft-shoe dance number.

And then MacFarlane made out with Sally Field. Yep, that happened.

His monologue then wrapped up with a big number to a modified version of "Be Our Guest."

This is MacFarlane's first time hosting the Oscars. He followed Billy Crystal, who hosted last year's awards show, and the less-than-dynamic duo of Anne Hathaway and James Franco, who hosted the 83rd annual Academy Awards in 2011.

As far as MacFarlane is concerned, it will be his only time hosting the awards, telling the AP last week, "Who knows how this will go. Even if it goes great, I just don't think that I could do this again. It's just too much with everything else that I have to do. I'm happy to be doing it and I will be thrilled to have done it, assuming I get out of there in one piece, but I really think this is a one-time thing for me."

MacFarlane had the unfortunate luck of following Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's celebrated monologue at January's Golden Globes. The "SNL" duo's tested chemistry provided witty one-liners such as a joke about Kathryn Bigelow, "When it comes to torture, I trust the lady who spent three years married to James Cameron," and the addressing of an iconic actress, "Meryl Streep is not here tonight. She has the flu, I hear she's amazing in it."

MacFarlane hosted the 85th annual Academy Awards at Hollywood's Dolby Theatre.

More information about this year's performances and winners can be found in the live blog below.

2013 Oscars

02/25/2013 1:18 AM EST

Good Night, And Good Luck

That's all from the Oscars 2013 live blog here at HuffPost Entertainment! Hope you enjoyed the show. This is Christopher Rosen, signing off.

oscars 2013

02/25/2013 1:07 AM EST

Ben Affleck Is Not Into Oscar Punditry

From backstage at the Oscars:

When did you feel a tipping point in your favor for this film?

Clooney: Michelle Obama.

Ben: When they gave us the trophies I was confident that we would win. I don’t get too much into the Oscar-ology and the pontificating. It doesn’t help me to read up on that stuff.

02/25/2013 1:06 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Facial Hair

Backstage at the Oscars with Daniel Day-Lewis:

Was it uncomfortable wearing the beard?

What do you mean? No it's just a beard. Do you wear your hair? It was my very own beard.

02/25/2013 12:54 AM EST

What Jennifer Lawrence Thought When She Fell

From HuffPost Los Angeles correspondent Sasha Bronner:

"A bad word. That starts with F."

02/25/2013 12:50 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Best Picture Winner Face

ben affleck

02/25/2013 12:49 AM EST

Patricia Clarkson At The Vanity Fair Oscar Party

patricia clarkson oscars

More on Patricia Clarkson's look here.

02/25/2013 12:44 AM EST

How Movies Change During Oscar Season

Here's Awards Daily blogger Sasha Stone just after "Argo" won Best Picture.

@ AwardsDaily :

See, I told you Argo was Crash incarnate. Won the same amount of awards even.

Here's Sasha Stone on "Argo" back in October:

Have you ever seen a movie where you walk out saying, “That was just a great f--king movie”? That’s Ben Affleck’s Argo. Inexplicably, a film that draws its strength from humor and suspense, winds up being more moving the second time through. Perhaps because once you have been through the suspense part of it you get to know the characters better and therefore care about their outcomes more.

02/25/2013 12:42 AM EST

Ben Affleck's Arc

@ LouLumenick :

Affleck: Oscar winner to laughingstock to Oscar winner. You can't make these things up.

02/25/2013 12:31 AM EST

At Least Someone Liked It

@ m1keh0gan :

Tommy Lee Jones told me Seth MacFarlane was "hilarious." His favorite part? "I Saw Your Boobs." #notkidding

02/25/2013 12:28 AM EST

Daniel Day-Lewis' Meryl Streep Joke

“It’s a strange thing, because three years ago, before we decided to do a straight swap, I had actually been committed to play Margaret Thatcher, um...” he joked. “And Meryl was, was Steven’s first choice for ‘Lincoln.’ And I’d like to see that version. And Steven didn’t have to persuade me to play Lincoln, but I had to persuade him that, perhaps, if I was going to do it, that Lincoln shouldn’t be a musical.”

More on Daniel Day-Lewis' Oscar speech here.

Comments