When Shawn Henderson was growing up in upstate New York, he always knew he would be an interior designer. But his dreams didn't come true until after he graduated from the Rochester Institute of Technology and moved to New York City. There, he had the opportunity to work with amazing designers such as Thad Hayes, building his design skills that now set him apart from the rest.
Today, Henderson creates sleek and modern interiors filled with sophistication, ambiance and the breath of fresh air that we love from young designers. We're so impressed with his work that when he had a chance to talk to him, we had to ask for some of his best kept secrets. Luckily, he gave us five decorating tips to make our own homes feel as luxurious as his designs. Scroll through and see what Henderson suggests.
1) Every room has to have some element of cashmere in it -- be it a pillow or a throw. It's super comfy and incredibly luxurious!
2) Isolate patterns to your area rugs and keep your furniture in textured solid-colored fabrics. You'll tire less quickly of it.
3) If you have the room, go for a deep long sofa so you can take a nap on it. A comfortable sofa is important in a living room.
4) Always have good reading lights in every room and put everything on a dimmer.
5) Mix up your bedding so it doesn't look like it came from a "one-stop shopping" store. A top sheet by one company, a fitted by another. and duvet cover by yet another makes for an interestingly curated bed.
What do you think of these tips? Let us know in the comments below and be sure to click through our slideshow to see photos of Henderson's gorgeous work.
Do you have a home story idea or tip? Email us at email@example.com. (PR pitches sent to this address will be ignored.)