ENTERTAINMENT
02/27/2013 09:48 am ET Updated Apr 29, 2013

'Zero Dark Thirty' 9/11 Phone Calls Used Without Permission, Says Upset Mom Of Victim

NEW CANAAN, Conn. — A Connecticut woman whose son died in the Sept. 11 attacks at the World Trade Center says she's upset the Oscar-winning movie "Zero Dark Thirty" used a recording of his last words without her permission.

Mary Fetchet of New Canaan told CBS News and the Daily News this week that she was shocked the filmmakers didn't ask if they could use the voicemail her son, Bradley Fetchet, left on her phone while he was on the 89th floor of the World Trade Center's south tower.

The movie about the manhunt for Osama bin Laden begins with the voices of 9/11 victims making their last phone calls.

Sony Pictures Entertainment said in a statement that the filmmakers contacted several relatives of 9/11 victims about using the voice recordings.

The above text was provided by The Associated Press. The Huffington Post's reporting continues below.

Fetchet's complaint is the latest in a string of controversies plaguing the film. A months-long debate over the movie's accuracy drew the attention of multiple senators and government officials. Acting CIA director Michael Morell went so far as to issue a statement defining "Zero Dark Thirty" as a "dramatization" and "not a realistic portrayal of the facts."

Despite the fact that Sens. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.) called the movie's depiction of the role of torture in the hunt for Osama bin Laden "grossly inaccurate and misleading," the Senate Intelligence Committee decided to drop its inquiry the day after the Oscars.

PHOTO GALLERIES
2013 Oscars
Subscribe to the Entertainment email.
Home to your favorite fan theories and the best movie recs.