NEW YORK

David Ranta, Man Freed After 22 Years For Wrongful Conviction In Rabbi's Murder, To Sue NYC

05/01/2013 12:17 pm ET | Updated May 01, 2013
AP

A Brooklyn man who was freed after 22 years in jail for a murder he did not commit is now planning to sue the city.

The New York Post reports 58-year-old David Ranta will file a $150 million lawsuit on Wednesday.

Ranta was released in March after prosecutors launched a reinvestigation into the murder of Rabbi Chaskel Werzberger.

Shortly after his release, he suffered a serious heart attack.

Ranta discussed the tremendous difficulties of trying to adjust to life since his release.

“The first time I ate at a restaurant and used their restroom, I couldn’t figure out how to use the sink; it was one of those automatic motion-sensor faucets," he told The Post. "I had to get someone to show me what to do, and I felt embarrassed.”

“To tell you the truth, mentally I still feel like I’m in prison,’’ he said. “You can’t just flip a switch and say, ‘Hey, you’re free; go enjoy the time you have left.’ ”

Earlier on HuffPost:

Suggest a correction
406 Comments

CONVERSATIONS