Smoky Cauliflower Casserole With Rich Cashew Sauce
Provided by: Taste Editors
Although the point of Chef Emma's vegan specialties is never to try to mimic meat or cheese, we have to confess that this baked cauliflower dish tastes totally cheesy in the most satisfying way. Recipe by Personal Chef, Emma Gonzalez.
- 2 heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup peeled and mashed sweet potato (or butternut squash purée)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Bring cashews and stock to a boil, and blend until completely smooth. Add mashed sweet potato (or purée), garlic, yeast, tomato paste, turmeric, mustard, smoked paprika, 1/8 cup olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Toss cauliflower in remaining 1/8 cup of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt. Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet for approximately 25 minutes, or until easily punctured with a fork.
- In a casserole dish, mix sauce into cauliflower and peas, until evenly distributed (it should be quite saucy). Bake for 25 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Serve hot!