The Huffington Post is proud to present a story originally published by Ecofabulous.
World Water Day: it's the day that we collectively stop and appreciate that only 3% of the water on this planet is potable. Water is life, so let’s celebrate and protect it! There are many organizations devoted to our most precious resource: BluePlanetNetwork.org, waterday.org, CharityWater.org and Surfrider.org are only a few making a splash. Every day 1 billion people lack clean drinking water and proper sanitation. But there are a multitude of things that we can do to take positive action right away.
Here are 10 easy practices to dip into:
- Donate time and/or money to one of the organizations above.
- Turn off the water when you brush your teeth (and remind kids how important this is!)
- Install a foot pedal so you don’t even have to think about turning water off (your foot will automatically do the work for you.)
- Stop transporting water: get reusable water bottles and fill them up at the tap. If you fly through airports like SFO (and many others) there are now hydration stations, so don’t forget to tote your container. Did we mention that airport water is outrageously expensive?
- If you listen to music in the bathroom, limit yourself to one song. You can also bring an egg timer and put yourself on the clock.
- Wash your clothes in cold water and less often. Also, only wash your apparel when you have a full load.
- Take the Levi’s 5 day jean challenge and post your pics!
- Buy laundry detergents that ship soap, not water… like Method & Seventh Generation.
- Buy pre-loved clothing that doesn’t require water to produce a new product.
- When you get a new toilet, make sure it's a low-flow, dual flush unit.