If you thought the Amy's Baking Company saga was over, think again! The couple who notoriously set off a sh*tstorm after appearing on Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares" television program is (unfortunately) back in the news, this time for the completely ridiculous list of rules it imposes on new employees.
Radar Online obtained a copy of the rules, which include stipulations that employees will be charged $250 if they fail to work weekends or holidays and that purses are barred from the premises.
More insane to us than these rules, however, is that anyone is still willing to work at this place. One has to wonder why the restaurant's owners, Amy and Samy Bouzaglo, are still in business. Who can forget their insane online freakout, the time they kicked a reporter out of their restaurant and that Samy is in danger of deportation. And, OH YEAH, that they pocket waiters' tips and claim to have fired more than 100 employees.
If you still need convincing that Amy's Baking Company is the craziest restaurant around, head over to Radar Online for the full list of rules.
Here are some highlights:
8) No purses or bags are allowed inside ABC, (exceptions may be made) however upon leaving a designated employee of ABC has the legal right and consent to inspect any and all packages that you may have brought with you.
Even subjects of stop-and-frisk have more rights.
9) At no point is any food or any type of open beverage allowed in the kitchen. This is a direct Health Code Violation.
Is it really?
11) No visiting or unnecessary talking is allowed during your work shift. This causes distractions and results in loss of product. Any may result in possible harm to you, or to others.
Graduates of the Milford School welcome. Where children should be seen, not heard.
16) Holidays and Weekends are Mandatory, by signing this contract you are accepting that you will be required to work all Holidays, and Weekends. Due to the nature of our Industry this is a necessity and any No-Show will be monetarily penalized with a fee of $250.00.
Some employees are paid $8 an hour without tips, which means the penalty would be the equivalent of about eight four-hour shifts. Harsh!
20) It takes a great deal of time, energy and patience on the part of Samy & Amy (the owners) to train and teach our employees. We are investing in you as a new employee, and we are paying you to teach you. By signing this contract you are hereby accepting that you will be employed exclusively by ABC Amy's Baking Co. LLC. And shall not work for any competitor within a 50 mile radius of ABC within one year of temination or voluntary resignation, without prior authorization from ABC. Amy's Baking Co LLC. Nor shall you be allowed to open your own business of the same type, within the above mentioned radius.
Let's review. If you quit, YOU CAN'T TAKE ANOTHER FOOD SERVICE JOB WITHIN A 50 MILE RADIUS. For a whole year! How would they find out, though? Actually, we don't want to know.
UPDATE: Looks like Amy and Samy Bouzaglo finally had some sense talked into them, because the pair say they have amended the crazy contract they require employees to sign. According to The Daily Mail, the pair no longer pocket their waitstaff's tips and they've removed the non-compete clause.
But far from denying the crazy, the Bouzaglos seem to be playing it up -- so they can cash in. "We’ve become a summer tourist attraction," Amy said. "We’re printing T-shirts that say ‘I survived Amy’s Baking Company’, ‘Here’s your pizza, go f**k yourself’', 'I'm the Gangster, and' I speak Feline, MEOW!!'"