More students fell ill in India's northern state of Bihar on Wednesday, one day after numerous children died from an insecticide-tainted lunch in a school in the state's Saran district.
According to local reports, about 50 students experienced stomach aches and vomiting after eating a school meal at India's Navtolia Middle School in the Madhubani district, more than 100 miles from Saran. The children and adolescents, some of whom fainted, were taken to a local health center for treatment.
"All the students are out of danger," A. K. Prabhat, a medical officer at the health center, told reporters, according to the Press Trust of India.
However, other reports from the area assert that two students remain in critical condition.
The group sickness comes a day after dozens of students in the state were hospitalized from an apparent poisoning after consuming a free lunch that was part of a program to give poor students at least one hot meal a day. The death toll rose overnight and reached 25 by Wednesday morning, according to Reuters.
Many have voiced concern over the quality of food served by government-run schools in the state in the wake of the incident. Hundreds took to the streets on Tuesday and Wednesday to protests the number of deaths from contaminated meals.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the source of the contagion in Saran.