¡Feliz Día de la Independencia, Colombia!
Whether you're a 100% chibchombiano -- or simply enjoy being around Colombians -- here are 23 things you've probably noticed Colombians do:
1. Complain about how much better Shakira was when she was all rock and looked like this....
2. Point to things/places with your mouth instead of your finger.
3. Bring up Colombia’s 5-0 win (goleada) against Argentina in 1993. Not to mention the fact the match happened IN Buenos Aires, and it helped Colombia classify for the 1994 FIFA World Cup in the USA. #justsaying.
4. Dunk cheese in their hot chocolate. It’s special cheese that melts. Try it.
5. Want to deck someone when they tell a cocaine joke referencing Colombia. Colombians don’t think it’s funny. At all.
6. Arrive late to almost everything. But tell everyone they’re on their way before they’ve even showered.
7. Complain about Colombia to other Colombians. Defend their country to the death to everyone else.
8. Order food or drinks saying “regálame [insert tasty treat] ” (gift me) without really expecting the vendor to give them anything for free.
9. Carry around Aguardiente aka guaro (literal translation “Burning Water”, anise-flavoured liqueur from sugarcane) as if it was Holy Water -- ready to bless everyone with what they truly believe to be the elixir of life.
10. Cannot help standing up to dance when they hear “Si huele a cañaaaa....”
11. Celebrate the 18 public holidays in the year but never know why it’s a holiday.
12. Start by drinking café con leche (coffee with milk) as a kid, quickly graduate to drinking tinto (straight black coffee) after meals as an adult.
13. Hate when foreigners bring up Pablo Escobar when talking about Colombia. As far as they’re concerned, he’s not representative of the country...so don’t talk about him.
14. Correct anyone that spells their beloved country’s name ColUmbia. In fact, there’s an entire social media campaign to bring awareness to the problem.
15. Love Juanes as a humanitarian, even if they don’t like his music.
16. Ask for a discount when purchasing anything, especially if they’re dealing with other Colombians.
17. Correctly uses words like “chibchombiano” and “sumercé.”
18. Paseo de Olla. Enough said.
19. Tease people like pros -- also known as “montarsela” (to mount) -- but always in good fun.
20. Invite almost complete strangers to events and private gatherings, just to be friendly.
21. When feeling blue, put on a nice Vallenato and sing their sorrows away -- add some guaro for real heartbreaking moments.
22. Tear up every time you find a buñuelo / almojabana / Chocolatina Jet / Frunas / Milo outside of Colombia.
23. Have unconditional love for Carlos Vives.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments.
EARLIER ON HUFFPOST:
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more