Huffpost Los Angeles

Alice Gruppioni's Family Releases Statement Of Thanks To Los Angeles DA

Posted: Updated:
Piero Casadei, center, father-in-law of Italian newlywed Alice Gruppioni, who was killed in Saturday's hit-and-run on the Venice boardwalk, is comforted by a well-wisher on Monday, Aug. 5, 2013, in Los Angeles. The man suspected of being behind the wheel of a sedan that careened down the crowded Venice Beach boardwalk last weekend, killing the Italian newlywed on her honeymoon and injuring 16, is a transient who served brief stints in jail in Colorado, authorities said Monday. (AP Photo/Jae C. H | AP

The family of Alice Gruppioni, the woman who died after a man drove his car onto Venice boardwalk Saturday, released a statement Tuesday thanking people around the globe for their thoughts and prayers. They also expressed their gratitude to the Los Angeles County district attorney's office for their work on the prosecution of suspect Nathan Louis Campbell.

The statement in full:

The family wishes to express our sincere gratitude for the thoughts and prayers from so many around the world. We appreciate the professional attention and kindness shown by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office while advising us this morning of the impending prosecution of Nathan Louis Campbell.

We also wish to express our heartfelt gratitude to Consul General of Italy, Giuseppe Perrone, for assisting us in expediting arrangements to allow us to bring Alice home.

No words can adequately express the grief and sorrow we are feeling as we mourn the loss of a beautiful person, family member and young bride. Thank you all for your concerns as we begin to search for answers.

Gruppioni, who married Christian Casadei just a few weeks before her death, was in Los Angeles for their honeymoon. Casadei was with her on the boardwalk when a car careened into the pedestrian-only walkway, killing Gruppioni and injuring 16 other people. Casadei, who sustained minor injuries, was there by Gruppioni's side when she later died at a local hospital, according to Italian newspaper La Republicca.

"There isn't words that can explain what happened and what I feel," he said Monday in a video interview with ABC Los Angeles. "I want to come back to Italy with her." Watch the heartbreaking segment below, in full:

Campbell appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded not guilty to one count of murder, 16 counts of assault with a deadly weapon (a car) and 17 counts of hit-and-run. His bail was set at $1.48 million, and he could face life in prison if convicted. During the court appearance, his public defender Philip Dube called Saturday's crash a "horrible accident" and said that his client was very "fragile" and "frail," reports the Associated Press.

"He's profoundly sad, he is profoundly depressed, that he has potentially ended somebody's life," said Dube.

Earlier on HuffPost:

Venice Boardwalk Hit-And-Run: A Timeline
Share this
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Gruppioni Family Issues Statement | Yo! Venice! Venice Beach ...

Candlelight Vigil for Alice Gruppioni and Fellow Victims Starts at ...

Alice Gruppioni, Venice Boardwalk Victim From Italy, Was On ...

Bologna FC's statement on death of Alice Gruppioni: 'Alice ...

Gruppioni Family Issues Statement

Taps For Alice Gruppioni Following Deadly Venice Boardwalk Rampage

Family of Venice Beach Tragedy Victim Statement

Nathan Louis Campbell, Venice Boardwalk Crash Suspect, Remains A Mystery