"Careless women never appeal to gentlemen."
That's one of the pieces of advice offered in a 1938 article, Tips For Single Women. Recently posted on Retronaut, the article has some tips that still resonate today -- and many that really, really don't.
Here are some other pieces of wisdom:
- "Don't talk while dancing."
- "If you need a brassiere, wear one." (At least this tip is fairly practical.)
- "Don't be sentimental."
- "Men don't like girls who borrow their handkerchief and smudge them with lipstick."
- "Don't be familiar with your escort." So ... date a stranger?
- "Please and flatter your date by talking about the things he wants to talk about." (Personally, we'd rather talk about things that are of mutual interest.)
- "Don't be conspicuous talking to other men."
And remember, ladies, don't tug on your girdle.