The former boyfriend of Amanda Knox today told how his life is "on hold" as he faces a retrial over the murder of British student Meredith Kercher.

Raffaele Sollecito has denied any involvement in the killing of Miss Kercher, 21,  who was found with her throat slashed in the bedroom of the house in Perugia in Italy she shared with  Knox in November 2007.

"Every tiny little day, it is constantly on my shoulder, because these trials, this kind of situation, has put my life on hold," Sollecito told ITV's Daybreak.

"I cannot find a normal life, a job, a career or something to focus on instead of thinking about the trial, about the documents, about what will happen, about how to pay lawyers, how to pay my bills," he said.

Italy's highest criminal court ruled in March that an appeals court in Florence must re-hear the case against Knox and Sollecito for the murder of  Miss Kercher from Coulsdon.

Sollecito is due to face a retrial on September 30. But Knox's lawyer revealed last month that she will not return to Italy from America for the new trial.

The pair were found guilty in December 2009 of murdering Miss Kercher, with Knox sentenced to 26 years in prison and Sollecito 25.

But after an 11-month appeal in a Perugia court, both convictions were thrown out in October 2011.

Prosecutors claimed that Miss Kercher was the victim of a drug-fuelled sex game gone awry.

Miss Knox and Mr Sollecito have consistently protested their innocence and claim they were not even in the flat on the night Miss Kercher died.

They were convicted following a high-profile trial but were released after an appeals court found the prosecution lacking and criticised large swathes of the case against them.

The case mounted against them by prosecutors was ripped apart by the Italian appeals court, which noted that the murder weapon was never found, DNA tests were faulty and prosecutors provided no motive for murder.

Sollecito has defended himself against claims that he and Knox had made money out of the tragedy. He has said he wants Italian prosecutors to read his book to find out the facts about the case.

Speaking about his romance with Knox, Sollecito said: "It was a teenage romance, it was a blossoming, we were eager to date each other to see each other every day. But as soon as we dated and we started to have this romance, it was shut down, it was destroyed by events and circumstances."

Rudy Guede, a small-time drug dealer from the Ivory Coast, is the only person who remains behind bars over the case in Italy, where he is serving a 16-year sentence for sexually assaulting and killing the British student. He admitted being present at Miss Kercher's home on the night of the murder but denied involvement.

Earlier on HuffPost:

Loading Slideshow...
  • Die Zeit (Germany)

    Acquittal for Amanda Knox Repealed

  • Süddeutsche Zeitung (Germany)

    Amanda Knox 'shocked' by decision

  • La Repubblica (Italy)

    Meredith case cancels acquittals for Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito

  • La Stampa (Italy)

    Meredith, the process has to be redone. The Supreme Court annuls the acquittal of Amanda: "They still will not believe me"

  • The Guardian (United Kingdom)

  • The Telegraph (United Kingdom)

  • The Sun (United Kingdom)

  • El Pais (Spain)

    Italian Supreme annuls the acquittal of Amanda Knox

  • Corriere della Sera (Italy)

    Meredith murder, process to be redone for Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito

  • The Hindu (India)

  • The Sunday Independent (Ireland)

  • The Daily Mail (United Kingdom)

  • Deutsche Welle (Germany)

  • The Vancouver Sun

  • The Toronto Star

  • De Standaard (Belgium)

    Amanda Knox Acquittal Broken

  • Le Monde (France)

    To a new trial for Amanda Knox in Italy

  • Bild (Germany)

    Has Amanda Knox Lied To Us All?