A rundown former Nazi rallying complex on the outskirts of Nuremberg is scheduled to get a $92 million makeover, thanks to the local city government.

The spot, referred to as the Zeppelin Field, was the site of Nazi rallies from 1933 to 1938 and served as the backdrop for the propaganda film "Triumph of the Will", according to Dezeen.

The complex was famously designed by Albert Speer, Hitler's favorite architect who constructed numerous Nazi buildings during his tenure. Speer reportedly based the complex on the Pergamon Altar.

Of the refurbishment, Nuremberg's mayor, Ulrich Maly, noted that the city was facing a dilemma over what to make of the space. On the one hand, the grounds welcome some 200,000 tourists per year, yet the city wants to move forward from its haunting past. “Demolishing the buildings would provoke international outrage,” Maly said. “So we are going to renovate the complex. This does not mean that we are sprucing it up.” The Local reports that Maly has plans to turn the area into an historical learning center.

Check out the run-down complex below.

nuremberg zeppelin

nuremberg zeppelin

nuremberg zeppelin

nuremberg zeppelin

nuremberg zeppelin

All photos by Getty.

Loading Slideshow...
  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    View of US athlete Jesse Owens' room in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992. 73 years after Owens four gold medals as an offence to the Nazi regime, he still represents a role model to the Americain athletes, who are going to compete in the 2009 IAAF Athletics World Championships, taking place from August 15 to August 23, 2009.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    A bas-relief sculpture by German artist Walter von Ruckteschell (1882-1941) showing German army troops can be seen in the Hindenburghaus (Hindenburg building) where functions and cultural shows were staged in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    View of the amphitheatre in the Hindenburghaus (Hindenburg building) where functions and cultural shows were staged in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    View of single storey dormitory halls for athletes in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    View of the swimming pool in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    View of the House of Nations, which housed the many kitchens and dining halls in the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008. The village, which housed over 4.000 athletes for the notorious 1936 Olympic Games in Berlin, then under Nazi rule, was used as barracks for the German army shortly afterwards, and from 1945 as barracks for Russian officers, until the Russian army's final withdrawal in 1992.

  • Abandoned Olympic Village

    A man walks past a set of Olympic rings in the gymnasium hall of the 1936 Olympic village in Elstal, west of Berlin on May 5, 2008.