WASHINGTON -- Aaron Alexis was prepared to die and held onto the delusional belief that he was being controlled by extremely low-frequency electromagnetic waves when he shot and killed 12 people during his attack on Washington Navy Yard earlier this month, FBI officials said at a press conference Wednesday.
FBI officials on Wednesday released a series of photos and a video from the Washington Navy Yard that show Alexis preparing to carry out the attack. Alexis is not believed to have been targeting any specific individuals, and apparently did not know any of his victims, Valerie Parlav, assistant director in charge of the FBI's Washington Field Office, said at the press conference.
Alexis carved “End to the torment!” “Not what yall say!” and “Better off this way!” on the weapon he used.
Authorities released this timeline of the attack:
- 7:53 a.m. - Alexis’ rental car, a blue Toyota Prius with New York plates, entered Parking Garage #28 at the Washington Navy Yard, located directly across from Building #197.
- 8:08 a.m. - Alexis exited Parking Garage #28 on foot carrying a backpack. Alexis entered Building #197 and proceeded to the elevator.
- 8:09 a.m. - Alexis exited the elevator on the fourth floor and entered the men’s bathroom carrying a backpack and a clipboard.
- 8:15 a.m. - Alexis crossed the hallway into the 4 West area of Building #197 with shotgun, but without the backpack or a clipboard.
- 8:16 a.m. - Alexis shot the first victim in the 4 West area of Building #197.
- 8:17 a.m. - First 911 call is received from the fourth floor of Building #197.
- 8:20 a.m. - Alexis left the fourth floor using the stairs and entered the third floor.
- 8:28 a.m. - Alexis appeared on the first floor.
- 8:57 a.m. - Alexis returned to the third floor.
- 9:25 a.m. - Law enforcement shot and killed Alexis on the third floor.