Roughly one-third of American workers have called in sick when they weren't actually ill, according to a recent survey.
But what's even more striking is how bad some employees are at lying to their boss.
The survey, conducted by employment website CareerBuilder.com, asked employers to recount the most memorable excuses for missing work they ever heard.
Here are just 9 of the most ridiculous examples:
1. I got lost and ended up in a different state.
2. A swarm of bees surrounded my car and I couldn't make it to the office.
3. My false teeth flew out the window while I was driving down the highway.
4. My favorite football team lost on Sunday and I need Monday to get over it.
5. Someone glued my doors and windows shut so I can't leave the house to come to work.
6. I need to finish Christmas shopping.
7. I quit smoking and now I'm too grouchy to work.
8. I ate too much turkey and fell asleep for my shift.
9. I bit my tongue and now I can't talk.