In the possible first sign of a major climbdown, "60 Minutes" announced Thursday night that it is "reviewing" its controversial report on the Benghazi attacks after finding further evidence that one of its main sources changed his account of events repeatedly.
The CBS program came under repeated criticism after it was revealed that the source—a security officer named Dylan Davies who provided correspondent Lara Logan with an eye-popping, made-for-TV account of the tragic events in Benghazi—had previously lied about his whereabouts on the night of the attack, throwing into question whether the story he told to "60 Minutes" could be trusted.
"60 Minutes" initially defended itself, with the show's executive producer Jeff Fager telling HuffPost's Michael Calderone that he was "proud" of the report and Logan attributing the scrutiny to political partisanship.
However, on Thursday night, the show issued a statement saying that it had found new information. Using Davies' pseudonym, Morgan Jones, "60 Minutes" said it was looking to see whether it had been lied to:
60 Minutes has learned of new information that undercuts the account told to us by Morgan Jones of his actions on the night of the attack on the Benghazi compound.
We are currently looking into this serious matter to determine if he misled us, and if so, we will make a correction.
The New York Times wrote soon after that the new information concerned an FBI report that had not been previously released, and which contained another statement from Davies that he was nowhere near the site of the attack on the night it took place.
"60 Minutes" then pulled the video of its Benghazi report from its website:
— Judd Legum (@JuddLegum) November 8, 2013
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more