When I was a teenager, my mother used to warn against following the crowd by always saying, "If everyone else jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?" Undoubtedly I'd roll my eyes and walk out of the room, thinking how silly this line of reasoning really was. But now that I'm the mother, with three teenagers of my own, I've found myself saying the same thing to my own kids -- much to my chagrin.
But everyone does it. And so what sayings from your parents do you surprise yourself by repeating? I asked our Facebook fans the same question and was inundated with responses, many of which brought back memories of my own childhood. Check out a few of them below. Have anything to add? Let me know in comments.
2) "Pretty is as pretty does," said Valier Barricklow.
3) "My mama would say 'this too shall pass' -- I say it often," said Robbie Martin.
4) "Your face is going to freeze like that," said Peg Whetstone.
5) "Brand new car and the blinker doesn't work?!?!" said Troy Spainhower.
6) "You lie like a rug," said Delsa Pauletich.
7) "Now, be a sweet girl and be nice to your cousin," said Iona Warmack.
8) "Because I said so, that's why!" said Michaelene Llewellyn.
9) "Have a good time and don't do anything I wouldn't do," said Kit Burns Wheatley.
10) "My dad used to say that there are no free lunches," said Judith Gregg.
11) "Turnabout is fair play," said Jean Capron.
13) "If you had a brain you'd be dangerous," said Theresa Pugh.
14) "Go to sleep. I'm tired," said Jamie Wieloch.
15) "Eat your food. There are kids starving in China," said Carol Suttmiller.
16) "Number than a pounded thumb," said Donna Gammy Gallant.
17) "Scuzi (skoozee) hiney. After passing gas!" said Pamela Palmer.
18) "Not worth a tinker's dam," said Dana Vermeersch.
19) "Oh my stars!," said Don Wilder.
20) "A fish rots from the head down," said Carla Carlyse Gallagher.
Earlier on HuffPost50:
Cheese Puffs And Various Other Unhealthy Snacks
A handful of people cited various snack foods, especially cheese puffs or anything else that might leave a neon-orange residue on their fingers. If you absolutely must partake, at least go with the very best. Check out this taste test of<a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/15/best-cheese-puffs_n_1597822.html" target="_blank"> 9 popular brands</a> of cheese puffs.
iPhones, Kindles, BlackBerry Devices
Not surprisingly, many post 50s say they are hooked on their iPhones and Kindles, creating an army of digital device widows and widowers. With Apple just unveiling a top-of-the-line <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/10/apple-event-live-watch-iphones_n_3899994.html" target="_blank">"iPhone 5S"</a> and other lines of iPhones, this addiction is likely to be around for awhile.
Not that this is a bad thing, but a few people said they couldn't go a day without applying their<a href="http://www.olay.com/Pages/DefaultFlash.aspx" target="_blank"> Oil of Olay</a> or some other anti-aging cream. (And, yes, a few women specifically mentioned Oil of Olay.) That's hardly surprising. The <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/20/boomers-anti-aging-industry_n_932109.html" target="_blank">U.S. market for anti-aging products</a> is expected to surpass $114 billion by 2015.
Words With Friends
Several post 50s mentioned their passion for Words With Friends. If you still haven't heard of the popular game -- which would make you the only person on the planet who hasn't -- check it out<a href="http://www.wordswithfriends.com/" target="_blank"> here.</a>
Despite all the health warnings, lots of post 50s still love their nicotine.
Although technology has, in many ways, brought us all closer together, some people say they've started checking Facebook obsessively -- too obsessively. For tips on how to overcome a digital addiction, go <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/03/overcoming-internet-addiction-from-brad-lamm-marlo-thomas-mondays-with-marlo_n_3210652.html" target="_blank">here.</a>
Several post 50s said they couldn't start their day without a few cups of coffee. Want to stop consuming so much caffeine? Here's some <a href="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/14/kick-your-caffeine-habit-_n_3732348.html" target="_blank">information</a> on how to break the habit.