Huffpost Celebrity

Harvey And Bob Weinstein Sue Warner Bros. Over 'Hobbit' Profits

Posted: Updated:
HOBBIT PRESS IMAGE
The Weinsteins are suing Warner Bros. over "Hobbit" profits. | ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK (AP) — Harvey and Bob Weinstein have sued Warner Bros.' New Line Cinema claiming they're owned a share of the profits from the second and third "Hobbit" films.

In a suit filed Wednesday in New York, the Weinsteins say their 1998 sale of the rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy to New Line applies to all subsequent "Hobbit" films. Warner Bros. elected to split "The Hobbit" into three films, the second of which opens in theaters Friday.

Warner Bros. responded with a statement calling Weinstein's sale of "The Hobbit" rights "one of the great blunders in movie history." The studio says the Weinsteins and Miramax agreed to be paid only for the first film based on "The Hobbit," and it says "that's all they're owed."

Earlier on HuffPost:

Close
'The Hobbit' Premiere
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

Warner Bros Slams Weinsteins' $75M Lawsuit Over …

Harvey Weinstein Threatens to Sue Warner Bros. Over 'Hobbit 2' Profits

The Hollywood Reporter's best stories of the week

The International Press Academy Announces Nominations For The 18th Annual ...