Women who have decided not to have children tend to receive a lot of frustrating questions about that very personal choice.
Though someone's reproductive choices are really no one's business but their own, strangers and family members alike seem to feel justified in commenting a woman's childfree lifestyle. Redditor Jezebel asked childfree women on the site to share the most ridiculous questions they'd been asked about their decision. Here are 12 of their startling responses:
- "Who will take care of you when you get old?"
- "So you hate people?"
- "Do you only think of yourself?"
- "What will you do with your life?"
- "Is it because you don't want to pass your genes on to someone else?"
- "Won't your [partner] leave you when [they] find out?"
- "Are you even a woman?"
- "You don't want them or can't have them?"
- "You're just being selfish. Who's going to give me grandchildren?"
- "Are you sure [your partner] is okay with that?"
- "How can you ever hope to be a family?"
- "That's what we were put on earth to do. Have children and love them, what else do you want from life if you don't have that?"