Thanks to many transportation options available to us, getting from point A to point B can be as easy and sustainable as you make it.
Examples of alternative traveling include walking, cycling, or travel by public transportation. There are a multitude of benefits for all three options which include:
• Improved Health – By opting for these viable transportation options, you get to incorporate physical activity into your commute and avoid dealing with traffic.
• Great for the environment – Less pollution is spewed into the environment with less single passenger vehicles on the road.
• Accessible and Affordable – Walking is free. Biking and public transportation can be low cost. All options are easily accessible. Walking is the greenest and most affordable option. With a good pair of shoes or sneakers, you can start off slowly by walking one or two days a week and work your way up to more days.
The United States is now catching up to the rest of the world with biking becoming a viable and popular transportation option. In Africa, Europe, and Asia, biking is a primary means of transportation for millions of people. With the advent of bike sharing programs around the country like New York City’s Citibike program, access is much easier. Biking has a multitude of benefits from getting your daily exercise requirements to saving money.
If you must drive and are in the market for a new car, look into sustainable vehicles like hybrid cars, which use a combination of electric and gas, or opt for all electric.
Many people earn most of their miles in their daily commutes to work. Unfortunately, many of those trips are solo, which can be stressful, especially in city traffic. By carpooling, you reduce air pollution, noise pollution, traffic and early morning stress. It can also reduce fuel costs and build your social network.
How To Save Energy On The Road
• Reduce the weight in your car – the more weight you add to your car trunk, the more the car has to work and use energy.
• Make sure your tires are inflated properly – when inflated properly, the amount of contact between the tires and the road is reduced, and hence, friction is reduced as well, giving your engine less work to do.
• Avoid speeding – speeding and accelerating can deplete more fuel.
• Compress your work schedule. For example, instead of working 8 hours per day for 5 days, work 10 hours for 4 days. This will reduce the amount of traveling you have to do.
Start your workday the right way with the news that matters most. Learn more