'Flappy Bird' is an insanely irritating, difficult and frustrating game which combines a super-steep difficulty curve with bad, boring graphics and jerky movement.
As such, it is almost universally the most popular free app on the iTunes and Android app stores. And even its creator admits he just got lucky.
No one knows why it's popular. At least, no one who has actually played it. The idea is simple - press the screen to flap the bird and stay in the air in between deadly, suspiciously Mario-style pipe barriers. And it's hard. Really hard. While some scores on the game's Worldwide leaderboard reach into the billions, getting beyond about '10' without using a hack seems impossible.
Here are some crucial tips to help you get a high score:
1. Learn to relax. This game is incredibly buggy and annoying. Often you'll fail even when you don't actually touch a pipe. This is because the game doesn't work very well. Accept it. Embrace it. Life is confusing.
2. Really, learn to relax. Like most arcade games Flappy Bird is easier if you clear your mind, don't think too hard and try to go with the flow. If you can play with your mind totally relaxed, you;ll do better.
3. Take breaks. Seriously, this game is awful. You're life will be better the less you play it.
4. Try to keep your finger nimble. Light taps, quick fingers, fast movements are the key.
5. Rhythm. Try to rise up into the passes rather than dipping down - it's easier to control. Use a metronome in your head to try and stay in sync.
6. Win medals. 10 points gets you bronze, 20 and 30 win silver and gold respectively.
7. Take off any case or screen cover on your phone. This ensures the screen is as sensitive as possible.
8. Use a big screen. The iPhone has a small screen and your finger covers up more of the screen compared to a big phone or tablet.
9. Give up. You will never win.