Huffpost Technology

iPhone 5C Reportedly Sets Girl's Pants On Fire

Posted: Updated:
IPHONE 5C FIRE
A store employee arranges Apple Inc. iPhone 5c cases for sale at a Reliance Digital store, a subsidiary of Reliance Industries Ltd., in New Delhi, India, on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2013. Reliance Communications Ltd. is the first Indian carrier to sell Apples iPhone with a service contract. Reliance will offer customers the iPhone 5S and 5C a two-year contract with bundled data services. Photographer: Prashanth Vishwanathan/Bloomberg via Getty Images | Bloomberg via Getty Images
Print

A 14-year-old girl in Maine was severely burned when her iPhone 5C caught on fire in her pocket, the Portland Press Herald reports.

The girl, whose name was withheld by her mother, suffered from second-degree burns on Friday. She was burned on her leg and back, and was taken immediately to the hospital where she was treated and released after around 45 minutes.

"Immediately, smoke starts billowing from around the student,” Jeff Rodman, the school's principal, told the Sentinel. “She knew right away something was wrong and, in a panic, knew her pants were on fire caused by the cellphone.” The Sentinel also published a photo of the melted and scorched iPhone.

The girl was forced to remove her pants, and the iPhone was still "smoldering" when the iPhone fell to the floor, according to the Sentinel.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment. We will update with any response.

This is the first report of Apple's newer, less expensive iPhone catching on fire. In 2009, a man was allegedly hit in the eye with a piece of glass when an iPhone he was holding exploded.

In 2013, there were multiple reports of Samsung phones catching on fire and injuring their owners. One man's house was even reportedly burned down because his Samsung Galaxy S4 caught on fire.

Phone fires are generally thought to be the result of problems with the lithium-ion batteries they use, which can occasionally overheat and cause fires. Lithium-ion batteries have also caused problems in Boeing 787s recently when they have leaked and overheated.

[h/t 9to5Mac]

Also on The Huffington Post

Close
9 Ridiculous Tech Destruction Videos
of
Share
Tweet
Advertisement
Share this
close
Current Slide

Suggest a correction

Around the Web

iPhone 5c catches fire in student's pocket, causes second-degree burns

US teen suffers burns as iPhone suddenly catches fire in her pocket

 
From Our Partners