Being a tour guide definitely has its perks. For starters, you're a wealth of knowledge that will guarantee you a victory at any trivia challenge on campus. You're a role model for prospective students who would love to follow in your footsteps. Andddd the free food at Open House Day is pretty legit, too.
Still, here are 13 times when the tour guide struggle is just too real:
1. Walking backwards. Let's just get that one out of the way.
2. Rain. Holding an umbrella and pointing requires way too much coordination. Then again, being seen on campus in a poncho is just as bad.
3. When no one laughs at your hilarious jokes. "So this is the library! It's my first time in this place, too!"
4. When high schoolers ask what the party scene is like.
5. Doing damage control after your idiotic friends tell the entire tour it's your birthday.
6. Worse, doing damage control when straight up strangers yell random obscenities at your tour group.
7. Realizing you have to give a tour the morning after an epic party.
8. When an overconfident high schooler mistakes your friendliness for flirting.
9. Feeling guilty after reassuring people that communal bathrooms "aren't that bad."
10. Having to refuse tips even though you desperately need the money.
11. When friends ask about your weekend plans in front of an entire tour.
12. When someone asks about the financial aid process.
13. There are the really bad days, when you feel like this:
.... But it's all worthwhile when you help a high schooler make one of the most important decisions in their young lives. (Aaaaaaaaaaand again, free food.)
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more