Remember how old 60 sounded when you were 20? Fortunately, today's 60 is nothing like that 60. In fact, there are loads of wonderful things about turning the big 6-0. Here are just 60 of the reasons you should be psyched about turning 60.
1. You can enjoy the freedom to dress down when you want. 2. You know who your real friends are -- and they all weren't college roommates. 3. You truly understand other people and have gained a real appreciation for all types of personalities. 4. You know what really matters and have stopped striving for needless goals. 5. You know high heels were designed by a misogynist and just don't wear them.
6. You have weathered marital storms and your relationship is stronger because of it.
7. You are okay spending time alone; in fact, you prefer it sometimes.
8. You know it's perfectly fine staying home on a Saturday night.
9. You know the value of sleep and are okay being the first to leave the party to go home and get some.
10. You can laugh off jerks instead of getting enraged by them.
11. You know that diet is a lifestyle, not a temporary restriction on what you eat.
12. You understand that garments like Spanx are cruel and unnecessary additions to your life. 13. You aren't afraid to stop reading the book everyone is talking about after 10 pages, even if "Gray" is in the title. 14. You know that black isn't just a color; it's the only color. 15. You know that you don't have to sit through "Girls" just because everyone else does; after all, no one on the show is anything like your daughter. 16. You know who you are and that there's still time to change direction. 17. You have been known to work in the garden on Sundays without a bra -- and it's fine. 18. You know enough to stay out of the sun without sunblock on. 19. You carry a shade umbrella in your trunk and aren't afraid to use it. 20. You no longer worry about where your hemline should be and instead wear what's comfortable. 21. You sit down at concerts and no one cares. 22. You know the excitement of an office romance and 23. You know better than to engage in one. 24. You know that when you color your hair, you do it for yourself and not anyone else. 25. You know that sex really CAN be better as you grow older.
26. You have learned how to weed out the users, the time-sucks and the emotionally needy from your life. 27. You know that relationships trump money. 28. And you know that good health trumps everything. 29. You take care of yourself because, as you know, if you don't, who will? 30. You appreciate a good laugh and seek them out. 31. You don't have to pretend to like horrible music. 32. You know that people are more important than things and you now prefer to collect good people in your life. 33. You know that work may feel important at times, but it's never as important as your family. 34. You know that work is best when you care passionately about what you do. 35. You can go gray -- and know that it looks spectacular.
36. You no longer take bucket lists seriously because you live every day fully. 37. You don't need to be told to disconnect in order to connect. 38. You know that good fences make good neighbors, but so do groceries delivered when the neighbor is sick. 39. You know when you need a nap and make the time to take one. 40. You have lived through some amazing times -- the first man on the moon just to name one -- that younger people have not. 41. You can tolerate the occasional check-stiffer, chronically late person -- once. 42. You just have to get out on the dance floor to impress people. 43. You are finally getting carded (AARP carded) again. 44. You get to see your kids turn into really interesting adults. 45. You still use the phone to talk to friends. 46. You really "get" that a successful marriage takes work but understand that it's worth it. 47. You totally get the value of having kind people in your life. 48. You can admit you were wrong about not trusting anyone over 30. 49. You understand that gossiping about people lessens you, not them. 50. You know that traveling broadens you and is worth doing as often as you can. 51. You are happy to just wear sweatpants and know you look best when you feel comfortable. 52. You have more time to enjoy life since you probably don't need as much sleep as you did 20 years ago. 53. You understand that stores whose clerks know the merchandise is where you will spend your money. 54. You accept that some things are simply outside your control. 55. You understand that being a good listener may be better than being a good talker. 56. You know the value of anyone who makes things easier for you. 57. You have amassed a rich diversity of life experiences to draw on when facing a challenge. 58. You know that elders aren't the only ones you can learn from; younger people have a perspective worth being open to. 59. You are okay following rules but aren't too old to try and change a few of them. 60. You realize beyond a shadow of a doubt that turning 60 is just a number anyway, so why stress?