No one understands you like a best friend. Not your mom, not your sibling, not your spouse. A best friend will sit with you while you're crying, know when the truth is better than a white lie and even attempt to fight that ex of yours who broke your heart. In the wise words of author Kate Angell, “A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'"
In celebration of National Best Friend Day on June 8, we've put together some reasons having a BFF is so great using examples from the most loyal, passionate and downright fierce female friendships seen on screen. Here are 13 reasons a bestie is absolutely irreplaceable:
1. No matter how much trouble you're in, she'll always help you get out of it. (Or at least get away with it.)
Cristina and Meredith from "Grey's Anatomy"
2. You're able to bond over things you'd never say out loud to anyone else.
Cher and Dionne from "Clueless"
3. Any ridiculous situation you get yourself into, she'll be right by your side.
Lucy and Ethel from "I Love Lucy"
4. A best friend will hate anyone and everyone for you.
Romy and Michelle from "Romy And Michelle's High School Reunion"
5. Even if you've hooked up with all of each other's mutual friends, you don't judge each other. You pour yourselves a few more drinks.
Shane and Alice from "The L Word."
6. She's always down to get a little weird.
Abbi and Ilana from "Broad City"
7. She has pictures of how you dressed in the '90s, but wouldn't show a soul.
Moesha Mitchell and Kim Parker from "Moesha"
8. She was there during your awkward phases.
Rachel and Monica from "Friends"
9. She'll say yes to your crazy plans, even if it means taking a risk herself.
Thelma and Louise from "Thelma & Louise"
10. You can't even count the years you've been friends, and you hope you never have to.
Carrie and Miranda from "Sex And The City"
11. She's been there through some of your darkest times.
Taystee and Poussey from "Orange Is The New Black"
12. She loves you for the weirdo that you are.
Annie and Lillian from "Bridesmaids"
13. She knows the truth is hard to hear, so she'll deliver it with a compliment. Or three.
Leslie Knope and Ann Perkins from "Parks and Recreation"
Happy National Best Friend Day!