The mother of an Arizona teen says her daughter died after consuming energy drinks.
Lanna Hamann, 16, was traveling with friends and their parents in Mexico last week. Friends say she spent Saturday at the beach without drinking water, and had been drinking energy drinks. That evening, she went into cardiac arrest and died, according to doctors in Mexico.
Lanna's mother, Kris Hamann, says the drinks factored in her daughter's death.
"[Parents should] make sure they're watching their kids. [Watch] what they're drinking and [make sure] they're drinking water instead of an energy drink," she told KPHO.
There is no word on the brand of drinks Lanna allegedly had the day she died, and an exact number of drinks has not been given. However, Lanna was a young person who appeared to be in good health.
The high school sophomore was remembered as a star athlete who loved playing softball and hiking. Friends gathered Sunday outside Peoria to hike a trail and erect a shrine in her memory.
Kris Hamann says that there have been complications bringing her daughter's body back to the United States, and the costs have exceeded $13,000. A memorial fund has been set up through Wells Fargo, and friends have promoted involvement on Twitter using the hashtag #GetLannaHome.
Another fund which appears to be in Lanna's name has been set up on a crowdfunding website, but the account had not been verified at the time of writing. KPHO reported that those wanting to help should donate at Wells Fargo branches.
Energy drinks have been linked to deaths before, and several families have sued for damages.
In 2013, a California teen's family sued Monster Beverage Corp., claiming that the 19-year-old's death was caused by habitually drinking the company's energy drink.
That same year, the family of a Brooklyn man who suffered a fatal heart attack after drinking Red Bull and playing basketball sued the beverage company for $85 million.
Don’t miss out — be the first to know all the latest and breaking news. Learn more