When asked what she'd tell her younger self, actress Jane Lynch, 53, told Ladies' Home Journal: "It gets better. Hard work and sticking with it do pay off. You will be proof of that in the future." Whoopi Goldberg, 58, told Oprah that she'd say: "Stay out of your own way." Michael J. Fox, 53, would tell his younger self: "When love comes, and it will, don't bury it in expectation and projection -- be prepared to fall in love all over again every day. Relax -- enjoy the ride."
With the benefit of hindsight, there are lots of things we'd all tell our younger selves. But what if you only had five words to do it? Here are just a few great pieces of advice -- in only five words -- from our wonderful Facebook fans. Have anything to add? Let us know in comments.
1. Meander a bit in life.
2. Stay out of the newspaper.
3. Don't sweat the small stuff.
4. Think before you act/react.
5. Get the hell out of Jersey.
6. Make your education a priority.
7. Always do what you love.
8. Take care of your teeth.
9. Don't depend on other people.
10. Move to a larger city (like New York or San Francisco).
11. Embrace diversity and different ideas.
12. Always listen to your parents.
13. Stay away from soul stealers.
14. Do not ever be normal.
15. Challenge yourself with physical activities.
16. Don't care what people say.
17. Take more risks more often.
18. Believe you can do it.
19. Enjoy life ... it's very precious.
20. Do not call yourself fat.
21. Don't take job you hate.
22. Don't always rush so much.
23. Remain CEO of your life.
24. Trust your gut instinct first.
25. Don't get married too young. (Also: Don't get married before 30.)