Having a big family is wondrous, it really is. But living in a house with one?! THAT gets tricky.
Even if you later move into a home that's not the size of a small hotel franchise, the effects of living with a big family never seem to wear off. Maybe living with a big family made you more eco-friendly. Maybe it made you more organized. Or maybe it made you just plain crazy. In any case, you know you've lived with a big family when...
1. You're highly skilled at licking, spitting in, or otherwise altering foods so that your siblings won't eat them.
2. You can figure out how to fit ANY amount of people into ANY car, no problem.
3. You've watched a five-gallon tub of ice cream disappear in 10 minutes.
4. You rarely bought clothes from a real store until college, because "shopping" always meant hand-me-downs.
5. You don't remember what it was like to talk on a home phone line because someone else was always using it.
6. You've peed your pants just a little bit from having to wait too long for the bathroom.
7. Every childhood meal was a casserole. Every. single. one.
8. You can't shake the habit of writing your name in Sharpie on the tag of every shirt you own. What if someone takes it?!
9. You trained for high school sports by sprinting to the car for the best seat.
10. Making school lunches in your kitchen looked waaay too similar to the assembly line at Subway.
11. You've woken up extra early to shower so you can use the hot water before it runs out.
12. You remember that picking weekend chores was like the NFL draft... without the option to trade.
13. You've been locked out of the house before, because everyone thought everyone else had the keys.
14. In your family, "going out to lunch" means driving the van to Costco and eating all the free samples.
15. You can load the perfect dishwasher in 36 seconds flat.
16. You're usually missing a shoe. And if not, then one of your siblings is missing a shoe. Nobody ever has both their shoes. WHERE ARE THE SHOES?!
17. Buying Christmas presents for everyone would've been a joke, so you're used to just doing Secret Santa instead -- and sometimes, one person gets forgotten.
18. You learned to ride a bike early, because there was no way your mom was driving you everywhere.
19. You've pretty much NEVER been alone. But at the end of the day, isn't that the best part?
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more