The Road Warrior's road will continue.
"Mad Max: Fury Road" did so well at the box office during its opening weekend that director George Miller says there's already a sequel planned and it'll be called "Mad Max: The Wasteland."
The movie, which cost $150 million to make, earned $45 million domestically and another $65 million overseas for a total of $110 million in its opening weekend.
Miller joined Twitter over the weekend to make the big announcement:
Thanks for all the kind words written and said about the film.
We had a lot of fun making it..and there's more Max to come.
— George Miller (@GMillerMax) May 17, 2015
Although Miller's account is unverified, the tweet echoes comments he made last week in "The Q&A With Jeff Goldsmith" podcast.
“We’ve got one screenplay and a novella. It happened because with the delays (while making "Fury Road"), and writing all the backstories, they just expanded,” Miller said in comments transcribed by The Playlist.
Variety reports that Tom Hardy, who plays Max, has said his contract covers three more films, should they be made.
Warner Brothers has yet to confirm a sequel, the entertainment news outlet reported. However, given the box office numbers as well as widespread acclaim (the film has a 98 percent "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes), a sequel seems like a safe bet.
Also on HuffPost:
HuffPost Entertainment is your one-stop shop for celebrity news, hilarious late-night bits, industry and awards coverage and more — sent right to your inbox six days a week. Learn more