Keeping a clean home is an art form. At first it may seem like dusting and tidying will get you there, but in reality, beginners often have NO idea what to do with the caked-on food in the microwave or the funky goo that gets stuck on the oven racks.
Thankfully, there are hacks to clean the messiest of items in inventive ways, proving you don't need to be a pro to achieve sparkly-home bliss. Test them out, or give them to a roommate who might, ahem, need to give them a try. Your home will thank you.
1. Steam-clean your microwave with a lemon.
2. Wipe away pet fur with a rubber glove.
Dip the glove in water, then run your hand over fur-covered couches, carpets or car seats to pick the fur up, no lint roller needed.
3. Fix burned pots and pans with baking soda.
4. Make tiles sparkle with a toothbrush.
5. Polish silverware, pots and jewelry with ketchup.
6. De-gunk your fridge with baking soda and water.
Wipe away food residue with this simple mixture.
7. Banish faucet buildup with a lemon.
8. Disinfect your mattress with vodka.
Yup, a spritz of vodka is said to kill odor-causing bacteria and disinfect. Just be sure to spray a light layer, and let the mattress dry before adding sheets.
9. Clean grimy oven racks with dryer sheets.
Soak the racks in warm water with a few dryer sheets for an hour, then rub the goop off.
10. Run lemons through garbage disposals to stop the smell.
11. Let ammonia clean the oven for you.
Pour half a cup of ammonia in a bowl, and let it sit in the oven overnight. Voilà! Crusty food falls away, and all you have to do is wipe down.