My Dad and I are very close. Living so far away from each other, he follows me closely on all of my social channels to keep up with what's going on in LA. That being said, this morning I re-tweeted a link to an article from my friend Jen called "10 Guys Reveal the Secret to Love... As Told to Them by Their Moms" and about 30 minutes later, I received this text from my dad:
"I read one of your RTs and thought I'd add my two cents... 10 Things to Consider When Dating as Told By Your Dad."
Here's what Dad sent me:
- It's important that he opens and holds the door for you. It's simply respect.
- He should make you laugh, as a sense of humor is a sign of intelligence.
- The little things like flowers or a handwritten note are important, as it shows he is thinking of you and can show it.
- He can make fun of himself. This shows he is confident in himself, but not too serious about it.
- He is free to compliment you. This, too, shows confidence, caring and thoughtfulness.
- He likes to work as much as he likes to play. It's good to have a sense of purpose as well as balance in your life.
- He is generous to others. Being compassionate is a beautiful thing.
- He is honest, but not to a fault. There is maturity in knowing what to say and when. Real honesty is known on the inside of a person when others are not looking.
- He takes care of himself, but not at an obnoxious level. It's about self-respect and not about arrogance.
- Finally, watch how he treats his mother as this is how he will treat you.
"This was fun. Thanks for reading. - Dad"
I am just the luckiest.