A Capuchin Crypt Full Of Well-Preserved Old Friars

10/30/2011 10:43 am ET | Updated Dec 30, 2011

Established in the 16th century by friars as an outgrowth of their original cemetery, the Capuchin crypts were originally dug in 1599 to hold the mummified body of fellow monk, Silvestro of Gubbio. Originally intended for other dead friars, a strange tradition emerged over the ensuing centuries as affluent Sicilians were entombed in the crypts as a symbol of social status. These well-to-do would request to spend the rest of time adorned in their favorite outfits, some even insisting that their wardrobe be changed at regular intervals...

ATLAS OBSCURA: Sleeping Beauty and Sicily's Well Dressed Dead [PHOTOS]