We love zucchini's mild flavor, melt-in-your mouth texture, and amazing versatility. But by summer's end, we all get a little weary of it, and the thought of throwing one more zucchini plank on the grill becomes something exciting no longer. Still, we gotta appreciate August's bounty, even when it's a little too bountiful. Look no further for tasty and creative ways to use up the rest of your summer squash yield.
1. Zucchini Scallion Cakes. Applying the grater is a transformative experience for a couple zucchini and scallions, on their way to becoming these latke-like bites.
2. Zucchini & Rice Gratin. The cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, and rice in this delicious baked side (or vegetarian main) do much to disguise a big portion of zucchini.
3. Parsley Zucchini. A simple sauté is taken up a notch by the use of both butter and olive, plus a big handful of fresh herbs.
4. Orzo Ratatouille. The classic tomato-eggplant-zucchini combination gets a makeover with the addition of orzo and cheese, plus some time in the oven.
5. Summer Squash Angel Hair. Again with the grater! Here, we slowly sauté grated squash until it's rich and saucy then toss it with quick-cooking angel hair and lots of cheese.
6. Squash Chips with Basil and Balsamic Drizzle. Roasting thinly slicked squash makes "chips" that are slightly crispy, dense, and intensely flavored.
7. Oversized Mozzarella Arepas with Summer Veggies. A quick sauté of summer veggies, including zucchini, top these crispy, cheesy arepas to make a gluten-free, vegetarian supper.
8. Zucchini Tofu Croquettes. Another bite-sized delight, the addition of tofu to these croquettes makes them simultaneously light and filling.
9. Zucchini-Fennel Slaw with Preserved Lemons and Cilantro. Our favorite summer salad, slaw, is redone with zucchini and fennel instead of regular old cabbage.
--Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine of Big Girls, Small Kitchen