10 things to learn spiritually from Whitney Houston.
Although taken far too soon and too unexpectedly, we can learn these things from Whitney Houston's home going services:
1. She was a child of God and embraced that posture throughout her life
2. She never strayed far from her Baptist roots, the birthplace of "The Voice," and the Gospel music that filled her soul and influenced her stylistically
3. She was a woman of deep and abiding prayer, known for gathering her friends and colleagues in an impromptu circle to petition God
4. Family was her bedrock, her source of strength, comfort, and a fiercely protective cross-generational love that incubated and informed who she was
5. She generously created opportunities for others who had gifts needing exposure.
6. She was a friend, beloved by those close to her as evidenced by the overwhelming outpouring of an unbridled grief, sense of loss and deep sorrow
7. She maximized her God-given gifts, achieving legendary status in a family of standout superstars
8. She didn't allow others or define or limit her potentials by being compartmentalized to one gift when she possessed many.
9. She believed in redemption, second chances and new beginnings and threw herself wholeheartedly into a fresh start being willing to confront the daunting task of change.
10. In 48 short years, she made an indelible impression on the hearts and minds of everyone who experienced her immense talents. She let the world know that she was here and in her home-going, death did not win. We can find hope that our dreams are more than inspiration but mixed with determination and steadfast faith even the most obscure dream can be realized. We can find comfort as parents that faith instilled in our small children is a long term investment that will benefit them as they face the varied challenges of their adult life. And most importantly we can garner a deeper understanding that all of us have some things to accomplish as effectively and expeditiously as possible, being reminded that tomorrow isn't promised to any of us no matter the enormity of the gifts we posses.
Here are some of Whitney Houston's beautiful renditions of Gospel classics including the video of "Yes, Jesus Loves Me."
Whitney Houston aka 'The Voice' performs a spine-tingling version of this Gospel classic, with her Mother, Cissy watching close-by. Whitney in her prime was unbeatable! Look out for Whitney's new album, due out late 2008!
whitney houston the preachers wife gospel original albun sonora
Nerver forget her roots... Whitney Houston is an amazing gospel singer. Listen and watch her rendition performances of Amazing Grace, I love the Lord, I Believe, A quiet Place, Jesus loves me, This Day, Do you hear what I hear.
CeCe Winans, Whitney Houston and Shirley Caesar bring down the house with this gospel medley at the 1996 Grammy Awards
1988 Freedom Fest Nelson Mandela.
audio mixed by Xach
Whitney Houston and Cece Winans sing their hearts out on this Gospel version of the classic "Bridge Over Troubled Water". You can feel their soul, emotion, and passion.
no copyright infringement intended. please download the original here: itunes.apple.com
Follow Bishop T.D. Jakes on Twitter: www.twitter.com/BishopJakes