by Rochelle Bilow
Don't you dare try to tell us chicken salad is boring -- this version with crème fraîche, fava beans, and cucumber knocks it out of the park.
CHICKEN SALAD WITH CREME FRAICHE AND RYE
We'd serve this dressed-down chicken salad for brunch, pack it for lunch, or make it as a light dinner on a hot summer night.
- 1 large skin-on, bone-in chicken breast (12-14 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh fava beans (from about 3/4 lb. pods) or frozen, thawed
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 small English hothouse cucumber, very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 8 slices Danish rye bread or other dense health bread, toasted if desired
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken on a small rimmed baking sheet and rub with 1 Tbsp. oil; season with kosher salt and pepper. Roast until golden brown and cooked through, 25-30 minutes. Let cool, then shred into bite-size pieces.
If using fresh fava beans, cook in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Drain and peel. (If using frozen fava beans, cook 2 minutes; transfer to a bowl of ice water, then drain.) Toss in a large bowl with fennel, scallion, tarragon, vinegar, chicken, and remaining 3 Tbsp. oil; season with kosher salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired.
Meanwhile, whisk crème fraîche in a medium bowl to soft peaks (it will look fluffy); season with kosher salt.
Toss cucumber with parsley, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a small bowl; season with kosher salt and pepper.
Serve chicken salad with bread, cucumber, and a dollop of crème fraîche, topped with sea salt and more pepper.
More from Bon Appetit:
Follow Bon Appetit on Twitter: www.twitter.com/bonappetit