Use these five criteria for every meal to help lose those extra pounds like your favorite celebrities when they're preparing for a red carpet event, movie scene, music video, television appearance, magazine photo shoot or concert tour.
1. Lean Proteins or Protein Substitute: Chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, beef, eggs, whey, casein and soy are all great sources of lean quality protein. Protein is a macronutrient that is an important building block for bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood along with providing support healthy hormone function. Unlike fat and carbohydrates, the body does not store protein, and therefore has no reservoir to draw on when it needs a new supply. Consuming adequate amounts of protein with each meal will help balance and regulate blood sugar levels, hunger, improve energy, stimulate your metabolism and aid in workout recovery.
2. Low Glycemic Carbohydrates: Whole grains and dark leafy green vegetables along fruits like berries, apples, pears and grapefruits are all great sources of quality carbohydrates with a lower glycemic index. Low GI carbohydrates help lower your body's insulin levels, reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, reduce your risk of developing heart disease, reduce levels of harmful blood cholesterol, reduce hunger and keep you fuller longer along with helping you sustain high energy levels throughout the day and improve workout performance.
3. Fiber: Whole grains, fruits, and dark leafy green vegetables are all great sources of fiber and tend to have fewer calories for the same volume of food. Diets rich in soluble fiber help control appetite, slow the absorption of sugar, control blood sugar levels and improve digestion along with reducing the risk of type to diabetes, heart disease, controlling cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
4. Healthy Fat: Found in fish, raw unsalted nuts, natural peanut butter, extra virgin olive oil and avocado. Healthy fat is just as important in a diet then any other nutrients. Eating monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat can actually help your body utilize fat as fuel instead of storing it, improve the appearance of hair, skin and nails, enhance brain function reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and cancers along with lowering cholesterol levels and blood pressure.
5. Sugar-Free Beverage: Water, unsweetened green tea or even Crystal Light are all great sources of fluids and should be consumed during and in between meals to help prevent over eating and healthy metabolic function. Proper hydration is crucial if you're trying to lose weight and stay healthy. Studies have shown that thirst and hunger sensations are often triggered together. A slight sign of dehydration may be mistaken for hunger causing one to eat when the body is actually craving fluid. As most food contains some water, if one doesn't consume enough fluids they may be subconsciously driven to eat more to gain the necessary water supply leading to increased calorie consumption.
Follow David Buer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/davidbuer