- I took an extra napkin from a Taco Bell for unspecified use "later."
- I sat on a bench on a hot day, enjoying the breeze as the man next to me fanned himself.
- I read the headlines of a newspaper that was for sale in a kiosk box.
- I divided a single-serving DingDong in two, and had it for dessert on two consecutive days.
- I listened all the way through to a Metallica song emanating from my neighbor's radio, but closed my window when the commercial came on.
- I remembered the movie times in my newspaper from the day before so I wouldn't have to buy a copy of the paper today.
- When a friend's cat chose my lap to sit in, I petted it, precisely to discourage it from moving to the lap of its rightful owner.
- I said "What a long, strange trip it's been" without air quotes.
- On the Amtrak "quiet car," I listened to a man in the seat ahead of me explaining to the bored woman next to him how he gets such a great shine on his shoes. I have since used his technique, successfully.
- I have stared carefully at reproductions of great paintings.
- I asked for and received a "tasting spoon" of mint pistachio ice cream, anticipating, correctly, that I would not like it.
- I smelled the aromatherapy candles in an aisle in the Stop 'n' Shop.
- Frequently have I browsed stores with absolutely no intent to purchase. On some such occasions, I have felt fabrics I did not intend to buy.
- I placed a bag on the seat next to me on the subway.
- I continued to wear in public running shoes after the Nike "swoosh" wore off.
- In a Italian restaurant, I entered their "win a free lunch" contest by putting into the jar a business card from a job I had recently left, with my new phone number written in by hand.
- I have retold the joke about the man who meets a pirate in a bar without ever once explicitly acknowledging that I was not its author.
- I gazed with lust at another man's bikini-clad wife.
- I deeply inhaled the smell of popcorn in a movie theater, but I did not buy any.
- One late summer evening, I purposefully and with intent committed to memory the purple of the clouds. That I still remember the edge of the chill was unpremeditated, however.
SUBSCRIBE TO & FOLLOW LIFESTYLE
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more