The Secret Society of Happy People declared August as Happiness Happens Month. While life is a series of ups and downs, and we search for the perfect job or partner or house or amount of money that we think will bring us happiness, we often forget that the little things in life truly make us happy. And those are the things that help us through the hard times. Sure, a luxurious spa treatment or a hot-fudge sundae may make us feel good temporarily, but what about the next day, or the day after that?
Not only is it important to recognize and appreciate every moment that brings you joy, it's also important to remember those moments. It's like creating a "happy memories" bank. As with any bank, in order to reap the benefits, you need to make regular deposits. Writing down your happiest moments is an excellent way to do this. It puts them in a permanent memory bank that you can access whenever you're felling low. One happy memory can completely erase a bad hair day!
Here are a few happy moments that people have shared with me. Please feel free to share your own and start the richest happiness bank ever!
- The day I got into my own car when I was 18 and sat behind the wheel after I had finally saved enough money for a down payment.
- During a really stressful day, my 6-year-old son crouched down by a bed of flowers and said, "Look at these beautiful daisies!" I bent down next to these perfect little yellow daisies, all smiling at us, and in that moment, I was as happy as my son.
- My best friend's reaction when I gave her tickets to Andrea Bocelli for her birthday. I came into some extra money with a side job and bought them. It made me so happy to see her jumping around in excitement.
- Just being near the mountains, rivers, water falls and birds singing makes me very happy.
- Driving in my car and singing one of my favorite songs.
- Playing in the rain and spending time with my family.
- Bringing my mother back home (with a nurse) for the day from the nursing home.
- Every night, my dog Max curls up on my bed with me and stays there all night. In the morning when he's ready to get up, he proceeds to kiss my face all over to wake me up. I always wake up smiling and happy.
Create your own happy moments, starting today!
For more by Debbie Gisonni, click here.
For more on happiness, click here.