Are you letting bad mood ruin your day?
For some people the feeling of gloominess or depression is due to neuro-chemical or hormonal imbalance and for others it's the daily stress or upsetting events that wear down one's emotional reserves. Studies show that people who are depressed or melancholic are twice as likely to develop cancer, heart disease and are a lot more susceptible to colds and flu. While psychotropic medications can be helpful for people who suffer from mood disorders, many patients are finding help from natural solutions. Here are some suggestions to lift your mood, your spirit, and your health.
- Hands-On Healing Human touch increases the production of endorphins, growth hormone and DHEA, all of which lengthen your life span and lower the negative impact of stress. Studies have found that patients who are regularly touched recover faster than those who are not touched. Perhaps give someone a foot massage, or give someone a hug and feel both of your moods improve.
- A Laughing Matter "Laugh Therapy," pioneered by Norman Cousins, has turned out to have real substance. Research has discovered that laughter and joy boost immune functions, especially the production of the natural killer cells that help defend the body from illness and cancer. Laughter also increases the release of endorphins -- compounds that give you a sense of well-being -- in your brain. Without a doubt, joyful people live longer and healthier lives. So read your favorite comics, watch your favorite comedies and laugh it up!
- Amino Acid for Restored Mindset When an imbalance or deficiency is creating a bad mood, the Europeans use supplements of a natural compound found in human cells to regulate mood and restore a healthy mindset. SAMe (S-adenosyl-L-methionine) is produced from methionine, an amino acid that plays a role in the production of uplifting neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine. One study indicated that SAMe worked on patients who had unsuccessful results with conventional antidepressants. To get a boost from SAMe, take a supplement combining it with vitamins B6 and B12.
- Raise Your "Youth Hormones" You don't need pills to flood your body with a rejuvenating flood of growth hormones. Research has found that doing squats and leg presses will greatly increase your natural production of the "youth hormone." Increased growth hormone translates to an elevated mood, among other physical benefits. Keep it up with weight training, knee bends, push-ups and rowing.
- Acupuncture Boosts Brain Chemicals Many patients with depression and anxiety have benefited from acupuncture. Studies show that acupuncture increases the production of neurotransmitters endorphins, serotonin and dopamine--the happy, easygoing and calming brain chemicals that are found to be in low levels in depression and other mood disorders. Our team of doctors at Tao of Wellness has successfully helped numerous patients with mood disorders with acupuncture while collaborating with their mental health professionals. Contact Tao of Wellness for more information or go to acupuncture.com to find a doctor of acupuncture near you.
I hope these tips help the good feelings flow! May you live long, live strong, and live happy!