To join me on this challenge simply click here.
What health condition is the No. 1 cause of death in the U.S.? What health condition affects as much as 70-80 percent of some populations, yet 90 percent of those who suffer don't realize they have it?
Diabesity -- the continuum of health problems ranging from mild insulin resistance and overweight to obesity and diabetes. It is the single biggest global health epidemic of our time.
Wondering if you're at risk? Answer yes to any of the following questions and you may be:
• Do you have a family history of diabetes, heart disease, or obesity?
• Are you of non-white ancestry (African, Asian, Native American, Pacific Islander, Hispanic, Indian, Middle Eastern)?
• Are you overweight (BMI or body mass index over 25)?
• Do you have extra belly fat? Is your waist circumference greater than 35 inches for women or greater than 40 inches for men?
• Do you have sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings?
• Do you have trouble losing weight on a low fat diet?
• Has your doctor told you your blood sugar is a little high (greater than 100mg/dl) or have you actually been diagnosed with insulin resistance, pre-diabetes, or diabetes?
• Do you have high levels of triglycerides (over 100 mg/dl) or low HDL (good) cholesterol (<50 mg="">50>dl)?
• Do you have heart disease?
• Do you have high blood pressure?
• Are you inactive (less than 30 minutes of exercise four times a week)?
• Have you had gestational diabetes or polycystic ovarian syndrome?
• Do you suffer from infertility, low sex drive, or sexual dysfunction?
If you think you may be at risk, I want you to know that's not a death sentence. Far from it. What most people don't realize is that diabesity is almost 100 percent preventable and curable. It's caused by dietary and lifestyle factors, and by changing those environmental inputs you can radically change your health -- for the better!
In my new book The Blood Sugar Solution, I outline a complete 8-week program for rebalancing your blood sugar, reversing diabesity, losing weight, and feeling great.
With the launch of this book I have created this special 30-day Blood Sugar Solution Challenge for readers of The Huffington Post. I would like to extend a personal invitation for you to join me on this challenge starting today.
On the challenge (sign up here!), I will provide you with daily videos that will outline easy steps you can take to optimize your diet, enhance your lifestyle, eliminate toxins, relax deeply, exercise more effectively, and more.
The Blood Sugar Solution Challenge is designed to help you identify and treat the underlying causes of diabesity. Rather than simply papering over symptoms with medications, this program provides a set of step-by-step dietary and lifestyle changes that rebalance your biology. By following the program, your weight will drop off and you will automatically regain your health. That's what happened to 145 people who recently completed a beta test of this program. The results were stunning:
• The group lost a total of 1,536 pounds in just eight weeks. That's an average weight loss of more than 10 pounds per person!
• More than half the group lost more than 10 pounds. Some lost as much as 28 pounds.
• Average waist size decreased by 1.5 inches, and some people lost so much of their waist that they had to go out and buy new clothes. One woman lost eight inches from her waist. Imagine, eight inches in eight weeks. No medication can help you do that.
But The Blood Sugar Solution is about far more than weight loss; it's about taking back your health and your life. People who completed the program reported an average reduction of 14 points on their systolic blood pressure, their fatigue evaporated and they had more energy than they had felt in years. Their joint and muscle pain vanished, the program improved their mood and sleep, eliminated their brain fog, and a provided a deep sense of well being. The Blood Sugar Solution gave these people a new lease on life. Here are a few of their stories:
"When the opportunity to join this beta test came along, I decided to join it, to see if it would help me lose weight faster. On this plan, I lost as much weight in eight weeks as I had in the previous nine months!" -- Dorothea Malloy
"I am not a diabetic, nor do I plan to become one just because a doctor said I would. I am a healthy, vibrant, energetic person who lost 17 pounds, 13 inches from my waist, reversed a pre-diabetic condition, insulin resistance, and severe muscular and joint pain. My self-esteem has improved because I was able to take charge and make decisions for myself that worked and have improved the quality of my life." -- Keena Hormel
"I found The Blood Sugar Solution diet clear and easy to follow. I lost weight easily, and more importantly, felt increased energy and mental clarity, alertness, and focus." -- Alan Morse
"My breathing improved, my energy level is much better. I feel lighter and more focused. I was really desperate to improve my health when I got into the program---I was so bloated and felt like I was drowning, even though I was eating healthy. But when I cut gluten and milk products out I felt better in two weeks. I will continue on the path of better health and healing. Thank you Dr. Hyman!" -- Milena Pirnat
I launched a similar program last year at Saddleback Church in California with the help of Mehmet Oz, M.D. and Daniel Amen, M.D. About 15,000 people signed up and over the course of the year participants lost a total of 250,000 pounds! After 10 months, the average weight loss for those who did the program was 18.6 pounds, and many lost 50 to 100 pounds. Many experienced relief from chronic symptoms, including migraines, asthma, reflux, irritable bowel, autoimmune diseases, depression, insomnia, cravings, joint pain, gout, acne, skin problems, and more.
I'd like to invite you, the readers of The Huffington Post, to have the same experience these people did. Most don't realize that you can dramatically improve your health and lose weight in as little as 30 days by following a few simple steps. You just need to know which steps to take. That's what The Blood Sugar Solution Challenge is designed to help you understand.
My ultimate goal for this program is to catalyze a movement -- to begin a deep national conversation about the real causes of illness and how we can overcome them. It's time to democratize health care and for us to Take Back Our Health in our families, in our communities, in our workplaces and schools, and in our daily lives.
Start with yourself. Join the challenge and learn the steps you need to take to rebalance your biology, stabilize your blood sugar, and lose weight. Then go to www.bloodsugarsolution.com to learn more about the book, join our community, find more resources to help you get healthy and get more deeply involved in this growing movement.
To join me on this challenge, simply click here. You'll receive a daily newsletter to your email inbox and be sure to check back here for a daily video from me.
I look forward to seeing you on the challenge.
To your good health,
Mark Hyman, M.D.
For more by Mark Hyman, M.D., click here.
For more on diet and nutrition, click here.
For more on personal health, click here.
For more on weight loss, click here.
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more