There is a famous quote by Lao Tzu that says, "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." This drives what I feel is true about self-help and personal development. Many times we need to let go of who we have told are selves that we are stuck being, of the habits that cannot be changed, and the patterns that cannot be broken, to achieve our full potential. Change comes when we believe that it is possible, and when we open our minds to the potential of who we could become. So where do we start to work on this personal development? The self-help aisle at your local book store, or even books online is not a bad place to start. What are some of the top books I suggest for personal development?
1) The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are Paperback -- September 1, 2010
by Brene Brown
- Brene Brown writes about 10 guideposts which help us get rid of the shame and guilt that we carry around, and lets us embrace the ideas that we belong, we are and we are worthy. She helps us be more authentic. It helps us shed others ideas, or our own of what we should. She teaches us to show courage and comfort in embracing who we truly are. It is a true message of acceptance.
2) Get Out of Your Own Way: Overcoming Self-Defeating Behavior Paperback -- February 1, 1996
by Mark Goulston & Philip Goldberg
- The authors teach you too, "transform 40 common self-defeating behaviors, including procrastination, envy, obsession, anger, self-pity, compulsion, neediness, guilt, rebellion, and inaction." By learning to stop these self-defeating behaviors, you can achieve success and have a life that you embrace.
3) You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life Paperback -- April 23, 2013
by Jen Sincero
- "YOU ARE A BADASS IS THE SELF-HELP BOOK FOR PEOPLE WHO DESPERATELY WANT TO IMPROVE THEIR LIVES BUT DON'T WANT TO GET BUSTED DOING IT."
Jen Sincero shares moving stories, clever advice, simple exercises, to help you Recognize and cease the self-sabotaging beliefs and behaviors that are keeping you from the life you want. You will learn where these patterns started, to accept the things you cannot change, and to take on the things you can.
4) Emergence: Seven Steps for Radical Life Change Paperback -- January 6, 2015
by Derek Rydall
- Derek Rydall focuses on one important point, "the answer is already in you."
He believes that there is not any part of us that is not exactly as it should be. That deep down we possess the skills and the abilities, but something stopped us from knowing this along the way. The book follows seven stages that show us that we actually are not lacking anything that everything we need is already inside of us. He shows us what we already have in us.
5) I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn't): Making the Journey from "What Will People Think?" to "I Am Enough" Paperback -- December 27, 2007
by Brené Brown
- So many people get stuck on this idea of "what will people think." Somewhere they learned to care more about what others thought of them, than what they think of themselves. In this Spirit Dr. Brene Brown writes, "We need our lives back. It's time to reclaim the gifts of imperfection -- the courage to be real, the compassion we need to love ourselves and others, and the connection that gives true purpose and meaning to life. These are the gifts that bring love, laughter, gratitude, empathy and joy into our lives." When we can truly love and accept ourselves in this way, we can achieve greatness.
6) Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and... May 25, 2007
by Beverly Engel
- Beverly focuses on healing your emotional self. Whether this means letting go of toxic people in your life, and the self-esteem damaging messages that come with them, or letting go of the shame and guilt you have been inundated with your whole life. Beverly works to help you become more kind and tolerant of yourself, and to create an image of yourself that you feel worthy of. A great book for those who need to let go of past abuses and hurt to achieve their personal goals.
7) Mindset: The New Psychology of Success Paperback -- December 26, 2007
by Carol Dweck
- "Dweck explains why it's not just our abilities and talent that bring us success -- but whether we approach them with a fixed or growth mindset." She shows us that using tools such as self- admiration, does not necessarily mean we will be successful. The fact is that this mindset can actually get I the way of our success and growth. Dweck focuses on the idea we can actually take part in lifelong learning that can lead us towards our most significant accomplishments.
8) Self-Defeating Behaviors: Free Yourself from the Habits, Compulsions, Feelings, and Attitudes That Hold You Back Paperback -- March 2, 2010
by Milton R. Cudney
- I do not think you can get a better review than to hear, "The most detailed examinations of self-defeating behavior I have ever read... Very useful." -- Albert Ellis, PH.D., President, Institute of Rational-emotive therapy, and author of A New Guide to Rational Living. When the person that literally founded the school of thought on how our thoughts impact our emotions, you know this is a book you need to read! The book focuses on the simple premise that we are constantly faced with opportunities to demonstrate self-defeating or self-enhancing behaviors.
9)The Power of Positive Thinking Paperback -- March 12, 2003
by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
- This is one of the bestselling books of all time, and has helped countless people change their thinking, and achieve their goals. Dr. Peale simply wants individuals to live a happy and nourishing life by: believing in themselves and what they choose to do, by developing a sense of purpose, by believing they have the power to accomplish their goals, by learning that they can be tranquil, that they can have successful and meaningful personal and professional relationships, and that they can have control and confidence in themselves.
10) The Self-Esteem Workbook 1st Edition
by Glenn R. Schiraldi
- This is a simple and phenomenal workbook. One of the major reasons that people enter therapy and are held back from achieving their goals, are issues with self-esteem. This books will help the individual to learn the roots of their self-esteem issues, how their formation may have been faulty, and that they have control of who they are and what they achieve going forward. Working on self-esteem, getting to the point where you believe in yourself and your abilities can be the most singularly important thing that someone ca do to achieve personal development and success. Once we have developed a strong foundation of self-esteem, all things are possible.