I saw The Book of Mormon at SHN Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. I am not a South Park fan but throughly enjoyed the production. It is playing now through June 27th. Here are 10 things I learned:
1. Africa is nothing like The Lion King.
2. Joseph Smith, the founder of the Mormon Church of Latter-Day Saints was born in Sharon, Vermont.
3. The "book" is always better.
4. Brigham Young moved the Mormons to Salt Lake City, Utah and established that city.
5. The character Nabulungi was also called Jon Bon Jovi, Narcrolepsy, Necrophililia, and Neosporine among other malapropisms.
6. "I believe that in 1978 God changed his mind about black people." A reference in the musical to the change in church doctrine to allow black folks to become priests in the church.
7. Tomorrow is a "latter day".
8. I had never heard of the "golden plates" the bible of Mormonism which Smith dug up.
9. There are Missionary Training Centers.
10. The creators say that the play only contains one-tenth of what they know about Mormons.
Peace, love, compassion, and blessings.
The Morning Email helps you start your workday with everything you need to know: breaking news, entertainment and a dash of fun. Learn more